31 days pregnant and dead

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I got up Saturday to find one of my new does, who was 31 days pregnant, dead. She had been getting big and for the two days prior to her passing she just sat in the same area looking miserable. I assumed this was from the fact she was pregnant. I have had some others that acted like that. By the time I found her she was very stiff. There was some blood dried around her nose.

Nothing new food wise and she had never sneezed. She seemed to have plenty of poops, although the day before she didn't eat it seemed. I know cutting her open would have helped, but there wasn't time. Any thoughts?

On a positive note, the other new doe had 11 kits!!! Biggest bunch I have had yet. YAY :cheer2:

Did you check to see if there was any blood in her genital area? She might have been trying to have the kits and put her face down there and got blood on her nose. Its just strange to have blood on her nose. Since it was day 31 the most probable cause would be complications from her delivery. Maybe the strain from labor could cause a nose bleed or internal bleeding. If you are up for it I would cut her open and see if there are any obvious answers. Maybe a kit to large to deliver. It is definitely sad to loose one and especially so close to having kits. Also I am curious, how old was she and was this her first litter?
I know you mentioned she had been not moving around too much and did not eat the day before. This behavior is very common with my does. I have one that doesn't eat a thing 2 or 3 days before she gives birth but then can't stop eating once she has the kits.
One last thing, I read a post of yours that you were having problem with stray dogs getting to your rabbits. Has that been resolved? I have seen a rabbit die suddenly from the stress of being scared.

Good point about the blood, I would say thats a likely answer also. So sorry to hear this hapened!

AmberRae":2mn5th6i said:
Did you check to see if there was any blood in her genital area? She might have been trying to have the kits and put her face down there and got blood on her nose. Its just strange to have blood on her nose. Since it was day 31 the most probable cause would be complications from her delivery. Maybe the strain from labor could cause a nose bleed or internal bleeding. If you are up for it I would cut her open and see if there are any obvious answers. Maybe a kit to large to deliver. It is definitely sad to loose one and especially so close to having kits. Also I am curious, how old was she and was this her first litter?
I know you mentioned she had been not moving around too much and did not eat the day before. This behavior is very common with my does. I have one that doesn't eat a thing 2 or 3 days before she gives birth but then can't stop eating once she has the kits.
One last thing, I read a post of yours that you were having problem with stray dogs getting to your rabbits. Has that been resolved? I have seen a rabbit die suddenly from the stress of being scared.

It was her first litter and she was 6 months plus. Same as the other doe that gave birth. I didn't see any blood other than nose.

The dog problem, for now, has been resolved. <br /><br /> -- Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm -- <br /><br />
Catherine99":2mn5th6i said:
Was the head back?

No it didn't appear to be heat related.

Back