A lucky find? *Pic Heavy*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
Well for those of you who have been following my thread about searching for a house bunny. Well I guess you could say I got a lucky find. I started looking online trying to find any Himalayan rabbit breeders anywhere close to me. Oh boy did I get lucky! I found the only breeder registered with the ARBA website lives just a few miles south of where I am. I contacted her through email, to see if she was going to be selling on any rabbits from her breeding program that would make good house pets. I got referred to a lady who was trying to rehome her rabbits since her children lost interest in them and "they just stay in the back and ignored unless I feed and water them." Well so I went out and saw them, out in the back of the property under the overhang of her shed with the chickens.

So of course I came home with two buns..... :oops:
First up Blue, I am not sure about her coloring. Previous owner said that she had alot of smut in her coat.
Blue Side.jpg
Blue Top.jpg
Blue Face and front feet.jpg

Next up is TJ I believe he is Black but again I am not sure. I do have the pedigrees for both.
TJ Side.jpg
TJ Top.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm __________ <br /><br /> More pics of TJ
TJ held.jpg
TJ Face.jpg

Yes! Another person converted to himalayans lol I'm glad you found some. The smut changes every time they molt, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would, however, put Blue on a diet, she looks a bit fat for a Himalayan.

:cheer1: :cheer2: :mbounce:

I'm so happy for you!!!!
I knew you would find a gentle house rabbit somewhere!
(personally a bit jealous of the breed! But I have enough to work on in my Magpie Harlequin breeding program with out diving off that bridge!)

Thank you both! I have already started with the diet, more hay less pellets. However they decided it was a good idea to breed through the wire. So I can now expect popples in about 27 days. I came home from dropping DH off to work to see TJ "finish".

Sagebrush":1tg80l40 said:
Thank you both! I have already started with the diet, more hay less pellets. However they decided it was a good idea to breed through the wire. So I can now expect popples in about 27 days. I came home from dropping DH off to work to see TJ "finish".
Guess you'll have more rabbits than you were bargaining for in no time, then! :lol:
Congrats on finding some lovely house buns!

SarniaTricia":1kuadlxe said:
:cheer1: :cheer2: :mbounce:

I'm so happy for you!!!!
I knew you would find a gentle house rabbit somewhere!
(personally a bit jealous of the breed! But I have enough to work on in my Magpie Harlequin breeding program with out diving off that bridge!)

As somebody who has breed both... Himalayans are super easy to breed in comparison to harlequins, and they breed so true that you don't need many to keep up a good line. It wouldn't be diving off a bridge, more of a jumping off a diving board ;)

Sagebrush":2bomzkhr said:

Cause no one expected that.. :whistle:

Well I figured 2+ inches between cages would be far enough..... Nope. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well like most things, when you don't want it to happen it shall right? I had palpated Blue (skill not up to par) and didn't feel anything but normal bunny tummy. I palpated TJ first to make sure I wouldn't guess wrong. I didn't feel any "grapes" so thought that it didn't take. fast forward a couple weeks, wake up to digging in food and haystaching. :slap: Thought great.... So today I had training at work, training on the new x-ray machine and software. I was only going to be at work for an hour to learn the system, so I take Blue in, get an x-ray just to see if it did in fact take and I just suck at palpating. I got the x-ray on disk.

Here is the x-ray and I will let you all figure out how many she is having in 2-4 days...
Blue 4.11.17.jpg

Fun x-ray! I clicked for a bigger pic - so hard to say b/c they are so faint and seem to overlap - either way, she's full!

I got to see a pic of our PG stray Jack Russel - we thought she was fixed b/c she had a scar, evidently it was from a c-section :roll: . I took her in when she was getting close b/c I was getting nervous due to how BIG she was. Poor thing was HUGE. Given the scar and not knowing how big the male dog(s) was/were I didn't want any surprises. She had 7 piled in there. So neat to see! (And thankfully went on to have them naturally over night - woke up Easter morning to her nursing them!)

FRC, that was a TON of pups for that little girl! I will sure post pics when they arrive :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:41 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well Blue is starting to build her nest, digging and haystacheing has commenced.

Latest posts

Back