Register

Why a blonde should not be processing rabbits unsupervised

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 320.00

Why a blonde should not be processing rabbits unsupervised

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BeachBC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:42 pm

So I was culling a couple of my rabbits this afternoon and had just cut the head off the dead rabbit and set it in a stainless steel bowl. I then carefully set the borrowed fillet knife I was using across the top of the bowl so it wouldn't get dirty and turned around to rinse the carcass off. While I was rinsing it, I began to smell burnt popcorn...I thought it was kinda weird but kept working. The smell got stronger. I turned around to find that the sun was reflecting off the knife and the rabbit head had caught on fire. There was a thin wisp of smoke curling up from the bowl. Sometimes I think my life is just one long blonde moment... :slap:

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,264.00

Re: Why a blonde should not be processing rabbits unsupervis

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Wow! I'm actually kind of impressed that the knife reflected the sun so strongly! :shock:

Although I can just about imagine it, since my mother's kitchen window makes the area directly in front of it at least 10 degrees warmer than anywhere else in the house... so combine that with the reflective powers of your knife, and yup... recipe for crispy surprises!
:lol:

The picture is just fascinating me. Dare I call it beautiful? Yes, yes I think I dare. :oops:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Nymphadora wrote:Wow! I'm actually kind of impressed that the knife reflected the sun so strongly! :shock:

Although I can just about imagine it, since my mother's kitchen window makes the area directly in front of it at least 10 degrees warmer than anywhere else in the house... so combine that with the reflective powers of your knife, and yup... recipe for crispy surprises!
:lol:

The picture is just fascinating me. Dare I call it beautiful? Yes, yes I think I dare. :oops:

:yeahthat:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Wooooowwwww.... crazy! That would have been a fun guessing game - what the heck happened to this rabbit? :lol: B/c I know I would have never guessed THAT!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 am

I don't think anyone could see the possibility for that. Very few things can reflect that well. In fact someone tried to bring a magnifying glass to the desert in one of those survival challenges and could not get it to do anything on any material at any time of day for any length of time spent waiting. Generally you just can't focus the light that much. I'd consider it a very freak accident that the sun hit it just right and that particular knife could do that.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,347.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Preitler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I can't imagine a knive focusing that well. It would need a concave shape, and be rather big.

A stainless steel bowl on the other hand - perfect.

I tried to start fire in many ways, and often succeded, using fire drills, sparks, magnifying glasses (easiest way), explosives, stretched plastic bags with water as lens (works), and so on. Also concave mirrors, very effective. But a knive, even with a concave cut imho wouldn't heat anything.

And even when it was the stainless steel bowl, that's really nothing one would expect. Makes you think about a decorative dried flower arrangement in a steel bowl on the windowsill for a little insurance fraud.... :twisted:

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 320.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby BeachBC » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Preitler wrote:I can't imagine a knive focusing that well. It would need a concave shape, and be rather big.

A stainless steel bowl on the other hand - perfect.

You're totally right...I just did it again WITHOUT the knife! My hand was still on it when it started smoking. And yes, it was an accident this time as well. Needless to say I've begun keeping the bowl in the shade. With all the wildfires we've been having lately I'd hate to be responsible for starting a new one...while butchering rabbits. Would be rather awkward trying to explain that one! :lol:

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,347.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:13 am

Lol, just stumbled over that story:

Customer claims metallic IKEA bowl set his grapes on fire

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/ ... -fire.html