Does anybody have these breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SableSteel

Reaction score
Especially wondering if anybody in the US has them. I know some breeds are in the US, or were even created in the US, but I have not had luck finding breeders.

1. Rhoen
2. Alaska
3. Vienna (the breed, not the color)
4. Deilenaar
5. Sallander
6. Thuringer
7. Altex
8. San Juan
9. Tennessee Redback
10. Hermelin
11. Lux
12. Mecklenburger
13. Perlfee
14. Opossum Rex
15. Meissner Lop
16. Argente Noir
17. Blanc de Bouscat
18. Blanc de Termonde
19. Golden Glavcot
20. St Nicolas
21. Hulstlander
22. Siberian
23. Sussex
24. Swiss Fox
25. Wheaten
26. Separator
27. Klein-widder

I know it is unlikely to find any, but I never know, I may be surprised. I know Perlfee exist in the US, and I've seen some people on here with Altex or Altex crosses, too.

2CrazyFools":3rf6hmwb said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Altex just Texas A&M's meat rabbit creation?
yes, altex are really just californian/a&m new zealand cross rabbits that the college produced for hybrid vigor to sell to meat breeders. they're very common here in texas, but the college is no longer breeding them themselves - they were all sold a few years ago.

i've never heard of several of these breeds, but isn't argente noir just a champagne d'argent? a black rabbit with silvering? or are they different in some way?

opossum rex also looks like a chinchilla astrex, and the astrex gene has several health issues associated with it, which may be why they are not as common.

san juan rabbits are essentially just feral european rabbits that were "adopted" by beagle breeders to train their dogs on because they were flighty and look like cottontails. they seem to really only be good for that purpose since they're apparently difficult to handle and a little on the small side for eating.

shazza":vhxh115h said:
2CrazyFools":vhxh115h said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Altex just Texas A&M's meat rabbit creation?
yes, altex are really just californian/a&m new zealand cross rabbits that the college produced for hybrid vigor to sell to meat breeders. they're very common here in texas, but the college is no longer breeding them themselves - they were all sold a few years ago.

i've never heard of several of these breeds, but isn't argente noir just a champagne d'argent? a black rabbit with silvering? or are they different in some way?

opossum rex also looks like a chinchilla astrex, and the astrex gene has several health issues associated with it, which may be why they are not as common.

san juan rabbits are essentially just feral european rabbits that were "adopted" by beagle breeders to train their dogs on because they were flighty and look like cottontails. they seem to really only be good for that purpose since they're apparently difficult to handle and a little on the small side for eating.

I haven't found anybody with Altex near me, they're supposed to be not too uncommon, but then again, there isn't a large meat rabbit population around me. I feel like I'm a bit lacking in knowledge in this breed, besides what I can read in books and online.

Argente Noir are smaller (~6 lbs). Both Argente noir and champagne d'argent are recognized by the BRC as different breeds.

I have an Altex doe that I breed with a Californian buck for meat rabbits. She has had 3 litters of 5, 7, and then 8. She is a great mom. There is a big market for them where I live. I have not been able to put any in the freezer because I sell them as breeders so eaisly.

Okay, just making sure! They are decently common in my neck of the woods and my meat mutt buck is an Altex cross NZ, I had the option to go with a pure Altex buck but D'artagnan won me over and I took him instead. I probably should have gone with the pure for the hybrid vigor but hey, you live and learn... plus D'artagnan is pretty great so I'm not kicking myself one bit.

I recently saw some Tennessee Redbacks for sale up here and went, "What on earth are those? Is that just a fancy name for native cottentails to get around legalities? They sure look like cotton tails..." then I did a little digging and decided I would not buy any, lol. They must be similar to the San Juan rabbits as what I was reading was telling me they were mostly for hunting with dogs...

Back