Tell me about Guinea Pig Care...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hey all, I figured this is a good place to ask about Guinea pig care...

My son is getting a little male for Easter (I know, don't judge me.. it's more for me anyways hahah). I have a store bought cage, I have the guinea pig feed and hay, using paper based bedding with any luck he won't bother with eating it. I feel like the care for them is pretty similar to what a pet rabbit would need, I understand they are susceptible to obesity and diabetes so avoid high sugar items and over feeding.. anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

Try to avoid handling them when you have a cold, you can spread it to them, and it's more serious in cavies.
Also, guinea pigs can get scurvy. Most guinea pig feed has vitamin C in it, but vitamin C breaks down quickly, so it's best to buy vitamin C supplement instead of trusting that the feed is super, super fresh.
Good luck with him.

I really like the two booklets below, the one is short and to the point the other is more in depth and pet friendlier (not so much breeder). There are some things I don't agree with (but nothing's perfect!). So take with a grain of salt.

What breed are you getting? Different breeds have different needs and some are more prone to health issues. Teddies for example *can* be more prone to fungal and bacterial skin infections because of their fur (I've found that this is like feet issues with MR, if you have a line that does not have it or breed and only keep those that never have the issue, you will not have it vs a line that has it and use ones that do but you treat for it type of thing). Long haired piggies need daily grooming too. Although all of mine like brushes (soft ones like for babies).

Check the food label. Look for hidden sugar if you're getting a pet store feed. A lot of times it is listed (or a bunch of oils) and they don't need it.

I've not had long haired piggies but have had Abby, Americans, Cornets, and Teddy (what I have now). I'm trying to get into showing them but I've yet to take any of them to a show (every one I plan to go to has no cavy show ugh). They are extremely social, handling him once he settles in will be important or they can become very depressed, stop eating/drinking and pass. Piggies go down hill quicker than rabbits, they hide illness until they are on death's door with 2 feet already in sadly in my experience. Any one with a cold or flu needs to stay away, no drafts or sudden swings in temps either. Watch fresh foods for mold and always wash them before feeding. Some of the "safe" sprays places use aren't really safe. Lots of wild grasses and plants at home you can pick and feed too. Fruit I try to feed 3 times a week. Veges every other day. They love horse treats too and give them some thing extra to knaw on to help their teeth keep worn well. I clip nails once a month (or file them if they are still too short to really trim). I do not feed tomatoes or broccoli as there are some sources that point them to be poisonous.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/loca ... _Sheet.pdf
:Short one above

Longer one below:
http://www.awlqld.com.au/wp-content/upl ... -Guide.pdf

SableSteel":233bhy4y said:
Also, guinea pigs can get scurvy. Most guinea pig feed has vitamin C in it, but vitamin C breaks down quickly, so it's best to buy vitamin C supplement instead of trusting that the feed is super, super fresh.

I have heard the trick is to not bother with guinea pig feed; give them regular pellets and give them a vitamin C supplement. That way you can feed both your rabbits and pigs the same food rather than buy two different kinds.

The pig I got is an Abby. He's pretty nervous and flighty right now but he's just a tiny baby.. how old should they be when removed from Mom? She said she separated him from Mom a week ago (at 3 weeks???) and he's been alone since then. He seems bright and healthy just nervous. Is there anything I can do to help him adjust?

With Guinea Pigs you have to separate the boys from their mother by 3 weeks or they will breed with their mother. Same with the girls from their father, or else he will breed them.

guinea pigs are super easy.

Rabbit feed.
Vitamin C tablet in the water (the chewable type)
Toss your veggie leftovers in and your guinea pig will thrive. :)

give them hay regularly (I did every three days in the winter).
In the summer I ran them on grass all summer (in a dog proof cage) and no hay at all.

Smarter than rabbits in that they won't eat stuff they shouldn't.
Can be picky with "new to them food".

Three week separation is normal. Guinea pigs are born running and eating.

Latest posts

Back