Coloring Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
So I decided to play with colorings a bit. I bred my doe Latte (Cinnamon X Beveren X French Angora) back to her Father Amos (Cinnamon) and to a new buck Adobo (Thrianta).

Out of 9 born on 3/21, 6 still live. 1 is black, 1 is black with gold? throughout the coat, 1 is a burnt orange, 1 is burnt orange on the spine tan on the sides and white on the stomach, 1 is brown and 1 is tan.

This doe throws such interesting kits.

my pictures are too large at the moment for RT to upload them. I need to scale them down.

If you don't want to scale them down you can upload to imgur or an image site and post the links here.

What color is the mother?

The one that's squirming out of your hand in the picture?
The mother looks like a chocolate Vienna mark
The lighter ones look like an orange (the pale one), a red (the darkest one), and one is either a fox or an orange (the orange one with gray on the sides). The red baby is probably out of the thrianta, and if the one turns into a fox (the gray shading on it darkens up) I'd say its probably out of the thrianta too
The brown baby looks chocolate
The one with tan mixed into the black coat is probably steel but it is hard to see with it squirming if that's the one

yes the one squirming in my hand is the one I'm talking about. I add some more pictures of that kit at the end of the album. As well as a pic of mom as a kit. IDK if that helps or not. Completely new to rabbit genetics and just curious as to why I'm getting the colors I am

Yeah, it looks like a steel (specifically a gold tipped black steel) from those pictures. They generally are born black and get the gold tips to their fur as they age. The gene must be hiding in the mother (neither cinnamons or thriantas can hide steel, but French angoras and beveren can)

I kinda thought that. Most of the kits out of Latte's mom are either lilac, white, black or brown. Usually solid colors. There have only been a few kits (the one breeding I did with her son) that have had even a hint of wool, mostly just scraggly coats. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> SableSteel here is a pic of the gold tipped black steel now at nearly 3 and a half weeks

Attachments

• 2017-04-12 19.08.13.jpg
    2017-04-12 19.08.13.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 821
Back