Contractions for 15 hours

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadburyBunny

Reaction score
My Holland lop started pulling fur and building a nest at 6 last night and within a few hours started having contractions. I thought for sure we'd have a kit or two shortly but she's still in labor and its now 11 am. Her private region is not overly swollen but there's a fair amount of blood and she's grunting and lifting her back end with each contraction. Ive given her parsley and a tums but no luck. How long should this take? She's had one baby before, a large kit that was DOA and I didn't even know she was pregnant, she's very small. Should I be worried? She's eaten and drank but she's obviously uncomfortable. :( <br /><br /> -- Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm -- <br /><br /> Can anyone help? It's now 3:30 and she's still having contractions. She allows me to pet her but she's all balled up and uncomfortable. :(

I'm sorry, I don't have anything useful to add to this post except that this seems to be really long for a doe to be in labor. Perhaps it's time to talk to a vet (if that's an option).

Have you tried using the search function on this forum to see if you can possibly find a topic similar that may help? So sorry Cadbury! Crossing my fingers for you and your bun.

**update for anyone in a similar situation in the future.

Dixie delivered one deformed kit during the night, over 24 hours after contractions began :( but she's doing much better which I'm so thankful for!! During the labor process I did some research and aided her as best I could, I don't know what helped and what didn't but I gave her tums both crushed in her water and half a tab in her food. I used a warm, wet compress on her vent area and used oil (Olive oil was all I had on hand) to give a little extra lubrication. I even tried letting my male rabbit have some "alone time" with her because I read that can help labor along. But she wanted nothing to do with him! I dont blame her...
She's just so small and my male rabbit is considerable larger but we are getting him neutered asap because my son keeps letting the ladies out of their enclosure. It interesting because my other doe delivered 5 babies of his with only one DOA and they're all thriving happy bunnies. Anyways, hopefully this helps someone else in the future!!
Thanks for reading :)

Sorry to hear about the trouble.
I think herbally raspberry tea helps as well.
If you aren't opposed to a vet helping, oxytocin is a MIRACLE with this. A small jab of it and everything is out of there within 30 minutes. Might be something to keep in mind if you're planning on rebreeding her, as often this will be a reoccurring issue.

Back