Salty furs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've quite a few hides (around 20) using the acid pickle Ez-tan 100 method. The problem I'm running into is my furs come out salty when I'm done. I thought I was just not washing/rinsing them well enough before drying and breaking so this last batch I actually shampooed with hair shampoo and thought I washed them well. Nope still salty.

I'm guessing I'm still not washing them well enough? How much is good enough? They don't feel salty until they are completely dry. Then when I run my hands over them I get enough on my hands I can actually taste it on my hands. :x

I guess I'm going to run all the ones I have done through the washing machine on delicate and rebreak as needed.

i use the ez-100 and i have never had that happen o___o the worst i've experienced is the ultra-soft relaxer making everything sudsy... what steps are you following to tan them? i found instructions direct from rittel when i bought my tanning supplies and so far they've all turned out fine. that's so weird. usually the salt from drying them dissolves into the relaxing bath or the pickle. i don't particularly spend a ton of time rinsing my pelts out - just a few seconds under a tap.

you could make a post on taxidermy.net and ask for help too - mr. rittel himself actually frequents the forum and is super nice and helpful :)

I'm using the EZ-tan 100 instructions. I wonder if it could be the salt I'm using? It's just regular livestock salt but I wonder if it's coarse texture is making it to be harder to wash out?

I just said screw it and threw them all in the washing machine on delicate. Cold water large load. When they are done I'll run them through a few dryer cycles on fluff with some shoes like Ramjet did in a few posts. I can't/won't use them as is and if I ruin them I have more hides I can play with. I will always have more hides. :lol:

I'll update when they get done.

I wonder how it would work if I ran them through a delicate cycle after tanning and before drying and stretching?

I have a coon hide in the freezer that my boy has been begging me to make into a coonskin hat for him. I really need to figure this out before I do his hat.

you could make a post on taxidermy.net and ask for help too - mr. rittel himself actually frequents the forum and is super nice and helpful :)

Yes! He's like, the coolest tanning expert ever. (I'm a fan.)

If you have too much salt a few extra rinses can help, alternately, you can try soaking the tanned pelts in a larger amount of cold water to draw out more salt.

I didn't use to much salt though, I used the amount the recipe stated, weighted it on my scale and everything. I guess it could be the salt, my well water, or my not rising them enough :lol:

I did run them through the washer. They aren't completely dry yet but I think it's going to work well. There were a few in the batch that I had alum tanned and that is def not something you want to try with those lol. I could tell which they were by feel and one literally fell apart in the washer. That made a huge furry mess in my washer lol. I hope all the fur didn't plug something up.

They were dry to the point where I need to keep stretching them so I stuck them in some ziplock bags to keep them from drying out to much overnight. That has worked well in the past when I was breaking hides.

Latest posts

Back