Advise?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So I am interested in getting a breeding trio of dutch rabbits, how would i bring up/ask my parents if i can get them. I have enough money and everything to care for them, buy them, and buy cages. I have the space, area, and experience. I figure most if not all of you have had to convince or ask for rabbits at one point or another, so what did you do?

When I was a kid getting into pigeons I wrote a ten page paper about the breed I was interested in, listing out not only information about the breed and pigeons in general (with a references/works cited page), but where I would get them & where I would get the supplies, the exact budget for supplies and animals (listing out everything), how I would continue to work with them (are you in 4-H, Oscar? If not, you should definitely join it, you could show the dutch in 4-H), what I would do with the offspring, what would I do if something happened and I couldn't keep them anymore, what would we as a family would do if I wasn't taking good enough care of them, and how they'd fit into our household. Try to think, as a parent, what concerns you'd have, and address them in the essay (for example, with me - neighbors that don't like animals? Pigeons are one of the quietest, least noticeable birds.) This was in 7th grade. Put your time and effort into it, and make it well written. Ask for somebody to edit it or read through it. If your parents doubts were on your dedication and commitment to this, this may help dissuade their doubts, the rest of the doubts should be addressed in the essay. Plus its good essay practice. I wrote it at my school's library, and didn't tell them about the essay until I gave it to them. This worked for me, but I have no idea how it would work for you. Also I was pretty young when I did this so it might not work as well for you.

I am in 4-h, and i just tirned 14 a few days ago. I am joining FFA and the agricultural(Ag) class next year as a freshman, for those classes i need an S.A.E.(I dont know what that stands for) and I want to do rabbits.

I would bring it up in the context of 4H. I'm sure your parents would be willing to let you get some if you have a plan!

What will you do with the babies? Do you plan on keeping the breeders, or is it a "until I get 4H awards" thing? If you're going to sell them, do you have any potential buyers lined up, or are you going to advertise locally? If you're going to process them, are you going to do it yourself, or find a local processor?

Having a plan for every rabbit is a good way to convince your parents. My dad was skeptical until I reminded him that the local boy scout troop needs rabbits for their wilderness survival class :)

I will bring up 4-H and FFA tomorrow. I have two rabbits right now but I have no clue what breed they are as they where dropped off to me by a relative. I would be keeping the breeders, I want this trio so i can breed them and sell the babies to other 4-H kids. Since I am not looking into a mat breed i wouldn't bring up the processing thing because it won't be necessary.

http://florida4h.org/projects/rabbits/M ... .html#Act2

I found this site a while ago..... I keep it book marked, so that I can use it someday to finally organize my rabbit stuff and see if there is any profit...LOL ( :lol: profit :lol: ... rabbits... :lol: )

I agree that an essay would be good, but having it in binder form, with tabs would have the added benefit of being useful after you get the rabbits. (for your record keeping)

Latest posts

Back