Does anyone know anything about French Angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
So I picked ups two REW French Angora does for the purpose of being woolers. The seller said she got them from a show breeder that sold them without a pedigree cause she did not like something about them. Anyways I am curious as to what the breeder was seeing in these does to sell them with out a pedigree. I have looked them over and cannot find a obvious DQ. What I do see is that one doe has a little bit of wool on the ears and the other has some wool on the bottom of her feet. But according to the standard neither is a DQ. At least that is how I am interpreting it. One doe is pretty well typed and the other not so much. I cannot comment on wool quality since I have no idea but it is much courser than my English Angoras.

I am thinking of taking them to a show just to here the comments or what they get DQ for. It be worth it to learn about the breed.

Here are some pictures of the two does let me know your thoughts.

Doe 1
https://pix.sfly.com/S3Yi0D

Doe 2
https://pix.sfly.com/J5Zsix

It can be hard to tell the build of an angora without putting your hands on them, but they do look like solid rabbits with good coat texture. Is there any way that you could get the breeder's info from the seller and contact her to at least ask why she sold them sans pedigree? Even the fiber quality angoras get sold with pedigrees around here.

I'm with six gun. Throw them up on the table at the next show and see what happens.

So I was able to get the breeders information from the seller. I think she will give me the pedigree but said she sold them because she did not like the body type on either of them. I agree that the one doe has poor body type but the other seems decent at least to me. I will show the one doe at the next show I go to and am complicating find a good buck for her.

Harelady":2q7vogvi said:
So I picked ups two REW French Angora does for the purpose of being woolers. The seller said she got them from a show breeder that sold them without a pedigree cause she did not like something about them. Anyways I am curious as to what the breeder was seeing in these does to sell them with out a pedigree. I have looked them over and cannot find a obvious DQ. What I do see is that one doe has a little bit of wool on the ears and the other has some wool on the bottom of her feet. But according to the standard neither is a DQ. At least that is how I am interpreting it. One doe is pretty well typed and the other not so much. I cannot comment on wool quality since I have no idea but it is much courser than my English Angoras.

I am thinking of taking them to a show just to here the comments or what they get DQ for. It be worth it to learn about the breed.

Here are some pictures of the two does let me know your thoughts.

Doe 1
https://pix.sfly.com/S3Yi0D

Doe 2
https://pix.sfly.com/J5Zsix

Why not just ask the breeder. If she could hard and they did not pass she can tell you why. It might be what is behind them in wrong crossing as in accidentally breediing that produced them. Are they litter mates.

Angora are really competitive and bred to a high standard. I'm guessing the breeder compared juniors and simply decided they were not as great as something else that was born and sold them for that reason.. Sometimes during the finishing phase of growth an uglier junior can surpass a nicer one though! They look great from the photos, nothing wrong with letting a judge look at them!
Also FA will have coarser wool than EA because they have more guard hairs in the coat. :)

So a lot has happened since I wrote the original post. I was able to contact the original breeder of the does. She had sold them because she did not like there type. She also apparently lost that whole line and wanted one of them back if I was willing. So I met up with her at a show in February where she took one of the does and a Belgian hare in exchange for a Jr. Buck she had for sale. She also gave me the pedigree for free if I promised her a offspring when I bred the remaining doe. I just bred the doe yesterday so I am hoping in 30 days to have some kits. I am super excited since the doe has been getting really good comments from judges and the buck is better typed so I am hoping for some really nice kits.

That is awesome! I can say from being in the same situation as your breeder that you are probably making her very happy by helping her recapturing a small part of a line that she no longer has. I recently was able to get a granddaughter of the both of the Bucks that founded my little herd, one of which I didn't have any foresight to keep any offspring from, and I am so happy to have something back of a rabbit that meant so much to me. I'm willing to be she'd be more than happy to reciprocate if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

Latest posts

Back