Doe not eating properly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
Yes, I'm back again. I know I tend to easily stress about little problems. But this next one does concern me. Maybe I'm stressing too early but I want to make sure.

I have a doe who is 3 weeks pregnant(palpated positive). Early this week, I think Sunday or Monday, she stopped eating her pellets. Normally she would gobble them down, and can't get enough, especially when she's pregnant. I haven't even increased her food. I buy pellets from the feed shop, and this last time the feed is different(as in smaller pellet, not sure if the ingredients are different), but she had been eating it normally for almost a week. But now she barely touches them. She's still been eating a handful of hay and some sunflower seeds every day, and she'll eat grass. She also ate a piece of carrot. But not the pellets. I tried leaving in just pellets for a day, and she ate like one bite, but that's it, and she acted starving. She had been a nice good weight, a bit skinny but with a good layer over the spine. Now her spine is sharp feeling, so I know she's getting thin.
She is still pooping, but not like she should be.
She is still active.

Is she just being extremely finicky or are my suspicions correct and there is a problem?

It could be the beginning of a problem. I'd had does refuse just pellets late term before. We always got through OK. :) I just fed the girls more of the things they would eat.
I suggest offering her some plain rolled oats (oatmeal) if you can, as it has carbohydrate energy and helps bulk up stool. You said she would eat grass, so she would probably eat other common weeds like plantain, dandelion, or strawberry leaves?
Make sure she is getting enough water.

I'd go back to the feed store with the bag.... ask to exchange it for another of your usual.... sounds like she doesn't like it....

My local group of rabbit friends and I had an issue with feed a bit back and I'm not afraid of getting a replacement bag of feed if the rabbits act like they don't like it....

My suggestion is to put your face right against the bag, close your eyes and inhale... if the feed smells "off" just take it back... or toss it and buy a new bag.

Either way, I'd still buy a new bag and try that with a separate cup of rolled oats (the breakfast cereal), sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds, calf mana, and anything else you can think of to fatten her up. Also, if you have access to alfalfa hay, get her eating that with her regular hay.

Also, add a dish of water if she only has a bottle... sometimes they just need more water and the bottle doesn't give them enough... if they don't have enough water, they won't eat.

Maybe it seems like too much fussing, but I do this for my does and get very concerned about condition during pregnancy and nursing.

I have reciently also switched everyon to water crocks, instead of bottles, to make sure they are getting enough. I have used many different bottles, and none of them show me they are working very well. When I fill up the crocks they drink it all in about a 12 hr period. I do use the bottles now as back up, but I can tell that they get a lot more out of the bowls.

Thanks everyone.

I had thought she might not like it, but I went back to get another bag and they only had this kind. It seems very fresh so I don't know if it's the food itself. I am frustrated that it's changed and they don't have any of their usual. In case it's freshness I'll try feed from the new bag too.
She does have a water dish.
I'll keep her on other foods if that will help. Right now I'm giving her hay, a good handful of sunflower seeds, a handful of oats, grass, dandelion leaves, and either a piece of apple or a chunk of carrot. I'll also maybe try banana. I'll look for alfalfa. I'm very happy to feed her different things as long as she'll be fine.

macksmom98":bwgdr8dd said:
I have reciently also switched everyon to water crocks, instead of bottles, to make sure they are getting enough. I have used many different bottles, and none of them show me they are working very well. When I fill up the crocks they drink it all in about a 12 hr period. I do use the bottles now as back up, but I can tell that they get a lot more out of the bowls.

I did bowls over the winter, because my bottles were freezing.... I have kept them in because it looks like the rabbits prefer the open water to the bottles...I do have bottles on all the cages too, because I don't ever want them to be without water and some prefer to flip their water dishes and drink from the bottle. (after they have had a good drink out of the bowl)

Back