Best way to kick start labor?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
I have a person who has posted in a group on fb, that has a rabbit on Day 36. Obviously there is a danger to both mom and babies, the longer she stays pregnant. I feel like I remember seeing something that was safe and effective for this, but it has never happend to me so can't remember. Thoughts?

i think lavendar can induce labour as well, if they have some fresh or dried they can try feeding it to her and see what happens as well.

Overdue bunny, put in with buck yesterday. Frantic nest building all day afterwards. This morning at 6:15 went to check on her, nothing new except back at nest building again. A couple hours later went out to play with the shepherd, and noticed fur in the bunny's nest that wasn't there at 6. *Hoping* for babies today.

I like a big ole sprig of parsley. Usually works pretty well, and also can stimulate milk.

Hi everyone. Just joined RT so very new and not sure how to post a new topic... even after reading the FAQ.... :oops: I have two 7 month old JW rabbits. They live together in their outside run along with our guinea pig. I then noticed that Bun Bun (male) and Bonnie (female) were being very romantic and literally "doing it like rabbits". I researched and read every bit of information I could get my hands on. I moved her into a hutch inside with us where she is away from Bun bun and warm and cozy. I have put a nest box in however she seems to think I have supplied her with a private bathroom... I keep cleaning it out and she keeps doing it. she has played around with the straw a lot, not massive mouthfuls but always moving around pieces. She has pulled out random pieces of hair but nothing really to shock me into thinking its an actual nest coming together. She also seems to be doing it all over her hutch and not in one place. She is 31 days today and no sign of babies. I tried to feel if I could feel anything in her tummy last night but she was not impressed and let me know all about it when she bit me... I don't know if she is or isn't pregnant and if I should just put her back outside with her buddies. The little while i was holding her i didn't really feel anything in her tummy but i don't really know what I am feeling for and I don't want to hurt her or any potential kits. She is extremely fluffy and with her being so agitated i didn't go digging to see her nipples but they def feel bigger in my hand. She has put on weight but that could also be because she is not in the run and she is by herself so no sharing food.... Any advice here. I know rabbits can go longer than 31 days but i heard with the smaller breeds its unlikely....

To pos a new topic you will want to click on board index, find which topic your post needs to go under and click on that, then at the top it will say post new topic. There will also be a way to search what others have posted, and I always enjoy going back thru to read that and see if it helps me too. Welcome to rabbittalk!

As for your bunny, it sounds like you will know in the next couple of days or so! Make sure she has plenty of nesting materials, and IMHO when my girls want to nest they just spring into action! Most just a little while before kindling. I will be impatiently wating and nothing, then all at once they are ready. Also, you can watch for quick jerky movements from her belly. Those are little kicks. The rolling motion is not what you want, you will know the sharp movements when you see them:) Smaller breeds go just as long as bigger breeds in my experence. If she was bred in the evening you wont count that day, but would start the following day (thats what I do). Its not uncommon for first timers to feel weird and hold them in a little longer, but my guess is in the next 24-48 hrs you will see them if shes pregnant. Biting is a good sign, although it doesnt determine pregnancy:)

Back