Daith/Migraine piercing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone every tried the upper ear piercing for possible migraine relief? (it's a pressure point). I have read/heard mixed results. The more often I have them, the more I am tempted to try it. DH's cousin's wife wants to do it too so we might go together. My biggest hesitation is that my ears have always been super sensitive, and I was told years ago the sensitivity gets worse the further up the ear you go. For years I could only wear 14K (or higher) gold earrings, even the hypoallergenic ones would make them flare up. Then I was able to branch out until my third pregnancy when one day my ears started getting sore, and 24 hours later I was forced to take my earrings out... I tried wearing them once a year later but ended up with hot/red ears. 2 years later I was able to finally wear some again. Just curious others' experiences.

I did it - both ears!

I went in and said both ears, the guy looked at me and said "are you sure? that's a pretty big undertaking" :x I told him I felt like I was going to throw up and didn't care :oops: and since most of my head symptoms were smack in the middle of my forehead they agreed two would be best. He said they have heard of good results, which was promising.

So, fast forward to piercing time. Deep breath, let it out, air's all gone and he's still not through. "Wow, you have some tough ears!" :shock: Yay me :roll: One last push and he gets it through. Not sure what happened after that (weird sensation in that I can feel him doing stuff, but not sensitive enough to know exactly what's going on) but the gauge came out and he couldn't get it back in. Doh! Then he commented that my head must have really been hurting based on how much I was bleeding - that they normally go hand in hand. Even better! First ear done. So NOT looking forward to the second, but I knew if I didn't then, I likely never would, and there was a good chance I wouldn't get full benefit. Second ear was much smoother, although it bled a bit more. Got cleaned up, asked a few questions, cleaned up a little more blood (plus some more pressure to get it stopped... I'm a bleeder though on a good day), and out the door.

And you know what?

I feel SO MUCH BETTER ALREADY! Before I even left the nausea had eased up, my head felt 10 lbs. lighter, and my eye didn't feel like it was trying to cross... I have atypical/ocular migraines so I don't always have headaches with the other symptoms, but have completely lost my vision while at the store with the kids before (NOT good) and was terrified of it happening while driving. Last week I couldn't walk - it was like I was telling my legs to do one thing, the muscles would try to fire, but instead had a mind of their own. My mom asked if it was MS but both MRIs came up clear (6 years apart) minus a pineal cyst. Now, my ears hurt, but I'll take that over how I felt before I went in! (and honestly, it's not that different from the day to day ear aches I have just from being so sound sensitive and having 4 children :lol: just a little further out ).

Interesting there was such an "easy" treatment. Hopefully it works long term. Unfortunately everyone on one side of my family and my full sister who pierced their ears developed a horrible metal allergy and even have to watch sandal buckles and such so I never plan to do so unless there is a good secondary reason that's worth watching every piece of metal I let near my body.

akane":1qdzcqa0 said:
Interesting there was such an "easy" treatment. Hopefully it works long term. Unfortunately everyone on one side of my family and my full sister who pierced their ears developed a horrible metal allergy and even have to watch sandal buckles and such so I never plan to do so unless there is a good secondary reason that's worth watching every piece of metal I let near my body.

#1 hesitation, but so far so good - what's in there now is surgical stainless steel. There is tenderness, but no redness, no burning, nothing like what I have had in the past with earrings... I am on high alert for it though. I was miserable trying to live life with 4 kids so it was worth the risk for me.

I did have the realization that I can't take them out, even if I have to - he use pliers to get them on (not to mention the thought of putting them back in while still so fresh makes me a bit squeamish, no thank you!). That kind of freaks me out. DH said I couldn't work at his company b/c of their new jewelry policy :oops: . He said that's why he encouraged me to just do it, because he knew I would sit and think of every situation and eventually talk myself out of it :lol:

You just need two more piercings to match your rabbitry name>>>> :lol:

Good Luck and Please keep us posted... we are all interested in hearing the outcome!

I believe the phrase is "pictures or it didn't happen".... :lol:
(I am finding myself very funny thismorning)

I'm honestly curious so please don't take this the wrong way. If your piercing a pressure point, won't your body get accustomed it, so that after a while, you lose the benefit? I'm glad you have experienced some relief and I hope it continues.

alforddm":ylr0tghy said:
I'm honestly curious so please don't take this the wrong way. If your piercing a pressure point, won't your body get accustomed it, so that after a while, you lose the benefit? I'm glad you have experienced some relief and I hope it continues.

yes and no... it also affects a nerve as well (blanking on the name of it) that there is the theory that disrupting it is part of the relief as well - and once things heal, if you have breakthrough headaches, you can tug or push on the earring to more easily stimulate the pressure point. I have read of a few testimonies for it that are at least a year old with positive effects from it... I went into it knowing it wasn't a guarantee, but it was worth the minimal money to at least give it a try.

Latest posts

Back