Coffee can = hay feeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize I can just use a coffee can to feed hay in. :p I already use them for water. Sure they take up some floor space, but I think they're worth the sacrifice. Way less waste than trying to let them pull it through wire, or a wire rack, or leaving it on the floor, or rested on top of the cages...

It's something like $20 a bale here, and I already go through a bale a week on one horse, so hay isn't something I'm cool with wasting. Plus my dad doesn't like excessive hay in the manure.

No pics of it, but a gallon ice cream bucket works well for alfalfa, too. With two feedings, I only had about a small handful of alfalfa sticks as waste, and with the coffee can hay feeders, most of the waste seems to come from filling them, which isn't a whole lot. Definitely less than anything else I've tried. :oops:

The taller cans, nicer to tilt them so the buns can get to the back of them. We go through about 1 of the smaller cans a week in coffee, so they're easy enough to replace. Would be nice if they were all metal though. :hmm:

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 1,547
  • IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,547
BRILLIANT!

I'm sick of paying $$ for stuff that the rabbits just destroy!
This way I can reuse an item that the truck is just going to pick-up!!

(we already use the toilet paper rolls to give hay to the house bunny .... just didn't think bigger for the barn rabbits!)

Do you have it attached to the cage? I can see mine rolling and flipping it around :roll: My hay racks aren't great, and the kids can't reach them when they help feed, so something different would be great. I bet DH's aunt has plenty of green bean cans I could repurpose (they do a lot of catering, not to mention feeding her 6'8"/275-300 lb boys takes a lot as well).

Yes, they're wired to the walls. :) I feel so clever! :lol:

Back