New big snake

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Relatively anyway since I'm talking about retics and burmese or anything of that nature. I was going to get a baby kankakee bull in the fall but this guy got posted to a group from the person who collected most of the line that was spread before wild collection was stopped. Male bulls are a pain this time of year though. Waking up from brumation (snake version of hibernation), getting ready to breed, and he was hauled back to his breeder's house before I picked him up and took him on a 4hr drive so I ended up emptying this out of a pillow case and then moving him to an enclosure. He's over 6' and my hands are too small to really support him. I have to loop him around one arm and then control his head with the other. My husband jumped probably 3' when it threw a bluffing strike out a good foot or more out of the bin. I just pivoted to head him off if needed but satisfied he'd scared the threat he slid back in. Bulls are entertaining. :lol: They aren't half as dangerous as they act. Give him a week or 2 to recognize us and get over his relocation and he'll probably be no trouble to handle except for gathering up all that size.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Cav3BLlRA&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I used to keep snakes before I had kids , couple BIG ones - 21ft Retic and a 14ft Burmese , a few poisonous ones - Eyelash viper , Gaboon Viper , Albino Western Diamondback (Now in the Houston Zoo) and a host of others ....

My 11 year old daughter found pictures of them and for months kept telling me she wanted one , I kept putting her off for months .... but she kept asking once or twice a week so I took her to "Look" at snakes at an exotic breeder just outside of town and she wasn't leaving without one .... she got a female Colombian red tail boa that was maybe 16 inches at the time.
It's about 2ft now with the potential to reach ~13ft. She eats a mouse every 5th day.

Now she wants another one .... this time an albino male.

I'll try to post a pic later ....

My husband will only handle the harmless rosy boas so even if it was legal I can't get anything so big I cannot deal with it alone so the length of the bull or rat snakes and the girth and weight of the blood python species group is pretty much the limit. Technically retics, anacondas, rock pythons, and burmese are illegal statewide. I don't really mind even if I don't agree it should be a law. The city actually bans boa constrictors too. My husband's lid failed to contain the bull snake which was no surprise. I told him how to fix it while just leaving the snake loose in the room. We had stuff cluttered about setting up the lid and lights so when I caught the snake after his display the only path was right past my husband. He about fell over the burlap bag of dirty bedding. I should not laugh. Bulls are entertaining bluffers. Once you have them up off the ground they usually give it up. I was rerouting his head just in case but not holding it because he'd just get upset while I was already balancing more snake than fits in my hand. Just hold the lid open and chill. The snake and I have reached an agreement. He didn't even really threatened me when I turned his light off for the evening. My "big" snakes look so little now lol My bull shot up so much over late winter and surpassed 3'. Now he looks tiny again. The python it's like "have you grown any?". Have a bigger meal.

Latest posts

Back