RabbitTalk Handicrafts Thread. What do YOU make?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:p
Wonderful produce, Tricia, I wish my green thumb was as... well, green? :lol:

I used to make preserves and jams with one of my aunts. Great memories. :oops:

I've recently begun crocheting and so far I've made an Ugly Sweater and am working on a blanket. I'm also a genealogist, so I've got one 50 pg printed manuscript w/pictures to my name.

I like flower gardens better than vegetable gardens, but both do well. I like to make cookies and pie.

EnglishSpot":agca79p4 said:
I've recently begun crocheting and so far I've made an Ugly Sweater and am working on a blanket. I'm also a genealogist, so I've got one 50 pg printed manuscript w/pictures to my name.

I like flower gardens better than vegetable gardens, but both do well. I like to make cookies and pie.

Try dishcloths! They are great for beginners and advanced alike - and make great gifts ;) The last two years for my children's teachers at Bible study I have done a dishcloth with a "Thank God for Dirty Dishes" poem attached (they had a different set so it worked out well). I am doing sponges now, just for something a little different. And soap holders (DH said his bar is lasting a LOT longer since he has started using it).

__________ Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm __________

I recently acquired a "vintage" (90's) commercial Nolting longarm and 14' frame for a steal. My quilting hobby has gone to a new level! (I have had some glitches with tension and am working through them, but I am so thankful it is a mechanical machine, designed to be worked on at home, with all parts still available as needed - Nolting has fabulous customer service!) And I have already been able to fulfill the service/ministry side of my goal with it by being able to fulfill a "dream" of a lady at church who started a quilt 30 years ago when she was single and just moved out on her own. She found it in a plastic bag in the barn and was embarrassed to even show it... she asked if I thought there was any way it could be finished. It was no where near square (more of a parallelogram), had to make a few "tucks" around the borders, but I made it! And she was thrilled. I also knocked out a couple random tops my friend gave me - one smaller one will go to Quilts for Kids, the other I am going to hold on to, I feel like I will need it for someone in the future, just not sure who that is yet. My computer memory is only a couple hundred megs from being completely full, I will try and get some pics uploaded - maybe I can use dropbox or something.

Making clothes is so fascinating yet totally intimidating to me!

Got a few!

Loops are my go to design, I can do it pretty mindlessly and cover a lot of space in a short amount of time...

mickey.jpg

Trying a train track type design for something a little different...

traintracks.jpg
train.jpg

FourRingCircus, that quilting is gorgeous! The few times I've tried quilting have always been a struggle towards the end because I was trying to finish them on a little home sewing machine with very little throat space. I've dreamt of trying a long-arm, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one (or justify it with DH). But I haven't given up on quilts yet, I think I'll just have to find someone close to me that can finish them for a fee. Because I enjoy putting together the tops. :oops:

alforddm":384vq5b5 said:
Anyone who has the patience to quilt can sew clothing.
Quite right! :lol:

Nymphadora":l18ti0h6 said:
FourRingCircus, that quilting is gorgeous! The few times I've tried quilting have always been a struggle towards the end because I was trying to finish them on a little home sewing machine with very little throat space. I've dreamt of trying a long-arm, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one (or justify it with DH). But I haven't given up on quilts yet, I think I'll just have to find someone close to me that can finish them for a fee. Because I enjoy putting together the tops. :oops:

If you were nearby I would do it! Might be worth the shipping, though? I'm not in it to make money at this point, just something I enjoy doing for other people. A lot of people charge $.02 per square inch, which doesn't sound like much, but it adds up, FAST! I would probably do a flat rate, because I (personally) don't think quilting should be the high dollar thing that so many people have made it to be.

I have quilted a number on my standard Janome over the years, it's doable, but not easy... the two largest were bed size for my parents. On my dad's I did a 3/E alternating pattern (sounds weird, but looked neat), and my mom's had what looked like water droplets - it's was made with batik strips so I went down the middle with a slightly wavy line with occasional drops (I have pictures somewhere). I bought a Juki 2000 - barebones, straight stitch, wonderful machine - because I couldn't justify the expense of a longarm. I have quilted a couple on it and the throat space is NICE. The LA only happened b/c I stumbled on a fantastic gem for an unbelievable price. It's not fancy, no computer or anything, but I prefer it that way.

Nymphadora":l18ti0h6 said:
alforddm":l18ti0h6 said:
Anyone who has the patience to quilt can sew clothing.
Quite right! :lol:

Now see, I would say the exact opposite! :lol:

Technically I did make a clothing item yesterday! A clothespin apron :lol: For a bridal shower this afternoon (she had a cheap canvas clothespin bag from WalMart on her registry, thought this would be fun, not to mention half the price in terms of actual dollars spent). I used one my friend made me for a pattern - also including a crocheted sponge that I recently found a pattern for... And a Dave Ramsey book :cool:

HERITAGE - WIN_20170326_135058.JPG

Oh! I found some on my computer! These were done on my standard Janome a couple of years ago. A bit choppy, but they were functional ;)

HERITAGE - WIN_20150817_161820.JPG

HERITAGE - WIN_20150820_152401.JPG

FourRingCircus":2y1eb4iv said:
Nymphadora":2y1eb4iv said:
If you were nearby I would do it! Might be worth the shipping, though?
:bow:
I would be happy to pay for your skills! Problem is, of course, that I haven't made any quilt tops recently because I had no way of getting them finished nicely. :oops: But now I just might have the excuse I need to go digging through all those beautiful quilting cottons again! :p

That clothespin apron looks fantastic, by the way. My aunt used to have something similar, but I haven't seen one around here in ages (we use a little lined basket, instead). I might have to whip up one of those... :mrgreen:
I'm sure your friend loves it and appreciates the work and thought put into her gift. It's really nice to be able to spruce up something simple once in a while. :)

Here is the update on daughters prom dress.

I ended up just going with some fabric from hobby lobby. It was the color she wanted and nice enough. The fabric samples I sent off for were not what we wanted and most of the fabric stores that had been in our area are now closed. The fabric was't as bad to work with as I had feared, it didn't show pin holes at all which was a plus, but the shinny nature of the fabric shows any litter pucker. I was also terrible to press. There are probably some tricks to pressing it but I didn't find any that helped.

Anyway, here is the dress. I promised I post an update so here it is. She seemed happy with it so that is what counts.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    IMG_3644.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 2,293
  • IMG_3664.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    IMG_3664.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 2,293
  • IMG_3666.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    IMG_3666.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 2,293
  • IMG_3671.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    IMG_3671.resized.resized.rotated.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 2,293
The prom dress turned out beautiful and fit her perfect. Your daughter is very pretty and I am sure she felt like a princess.

An Easter wash rag. Woot! One of those everyday sorts of projects, just cotton yarn, I didn't even grow or spin the cotton. I had it for all of half a day and then my friend saw it and got all enthused and excited about it so I gave it to him. I tried to make another one but ran out of yarn, so now I have the abbreviated version of a springtime wash cloth. Maybe I'll knit one out of bunny fluff after the garden is planted.

And the garden is just about ready to plant! Yay! Needs some 'bunny berries' added for fertilizer and then seeds.

alforddm":17ggwy4n said:
Here is the update on daughters prom dress.

I ended up just going with some fabric from hobby lobby. It was the color she wanted and nice enough. The fabric samples I sent off for were not what we wanted and most of the fabric stores that had been in our area are now closed. The fabric was't as bad to work with as I had feared, it didn't show pin holes at all which was a plus, but the shinny nature of the fabric shows any litter pucker. I was also terrible to press. There are probably some tricks to pressing it but I didn't find any that helped.

Anyway, here is the dress. I promised I post an update so here it is. She seemed happy with it so that is what counts.
Gorgeous work, Alforddm! :clap2:
Your daughter looks absolutely wonderful, and the dress turned out lovely! I really like the cardigan with it, as well. I hope they had a great time at prom!

Anything satin/satin-like will unfortunately pucker if the needle strikes it wrong... that said, I believe a stretch needle can help reduce pucker. Or just sewing very very slowly (giving the fabric a chance to give way before the threads are pulled and the whole thing puckers). Pressing is just always a pain. But a necessary one (I've compared shirts that I've sewn without pressing in between to shirts I've sewn all at once, and the pressed ones looks a thousand times neater). Hopefully this endeavor hasn't turned you off sewing fancy fabrics, because you seem to be doing swimmingly! :oops:

Great thread! So many talented members out there! :goodjob:

I used to design and handcraft one of a kind teddy bears from old mohair coats. It was a lot of fun scrounging in the thrift shops for materials. While I was there, I accumulated a lot of other stuff too.

So, folks, what would you do with 20 or 30 pounds of assorted pure silks, various colours and textures?

I've been hoarding them since the late 1990s, when I lived in Toronto. There was a section of the main Goodwill store downtown that sold garments "by the pound." They gave you a big plastic bag and you went up and down the aisles and took your pick of what was on the tables--bins, really. Huge room, each table heaped with clothing. Silks are lightweight and I took almost anything with a pure silk label. At the cash, they plopped your bag on the scale and charged you accordingly: 50 cents a pound.

Home again, put everything through the washing machine on cold and so my stash grew. :shock: And grew! :x

I've always liked Victorian crazy quilts . . .

MaggieJ":3cekfrvw said:

I used to design and handcraft one of a kind teddy bears from old mohair coats. It was a lot of fun scrounging in the thrift shops for materials. While I was there, I accumulated a lot of other stuff too.

So, folks, what would you do with 20 or 30 pounds of assorted pure silks, various colours and textures?

I've been hoarding them since the late 1990s, when I lived in Toronto. There was a section of the main Goodwill store downtown that sold garments "by the pound." They gave you a big plastic bag and you went up and down the aisles and took your pick of what was on the tables--bins, really. Huge room, each table heaped with clothing. Silks are lightweight and I took almost anything with a pure silk label. At the cash, they plopped your bag on the scale and charged you accordingly: 50 cents a pound.

Home again, put everything through the washing machine on cold and so my stash grew. :shock: And grew! :x

Not sure the size of the materials you have, but check out Enwrapture skirts - so pretty and fun! I used to order with a group for coop pricing...

Nymphadora":2idrtayo said:
Gorgeous work, Alforddm! :clap2:
Your daughter looks absolutely wonderful, and the dress turned out lovely! I really like the cardigan with it, as well. I hope they had a great time at prom!

Anything satin/satin-like will unfortunately pucker if the needle strikes it wrong... that said, I believe a stretch needle can help reduce pucker. Or just sewing very very slowly (giving the fabric a chance to give way before the threads are pulled and the whole thing puckers). Pressing is just always a pain. But a necessary one (I've compared shirts that I've sewn without pressing in between to shirts I've sewn all at once, and the pressed ones looks a thousand times neater). Hopefully this endeavor hasn't turned you off sewing fancy fabrics, because you seem to be doing swimmingly! :oops:

Thank you! I was hoping you would chime in with some suggestions. I've not been turned off thus far, I'm actually planning next year already :lol: :lol: I knew there were tips out there I had missed.

I did press all the seams as I sewed, it just seemed like the fabric didn't "hold" a press. I tried the synthetic and silk settings on my iron with steam. I tried using spray starch on a scrap piece and it left water marks so was afraid to use starch.

Cool stuff, FourRingCircus, but a bit too "young" for me. I'm pushing 67 and I'm seriously overweight. :roll:

I do like the look of those long, wide scarves though. Over a plain black outfit something like that might work. :)

MaggieJ":2omw9qo2 said:
Cool stuff, FourRingCircus, but a bit too "young" for me. I'm pushing 67 and I'm seriously overweight. :roll:

I do like the look of those long, wide scarves though. Over a plain black outfit something like that might work. :)

They show them in trendier ways, but as a plain skirt they seem like they would be for all ages (although I am not a trendy person, so who knows ;) I've worn camisoles and cardigans with almost everything for several years now :lol: ). The scarves would be beautiful though! It could be a new side business ;)

alforddm":dblphy0w said:
Thank you! I was hoping you would chime in with some suggestions. I've not been turned off thus far, I'm actually planning next year already :lol: :lol: I knew there were tips out there I had missed.

I did press all the seams as I sewed, it just seemed like the fabric didn't "hold" a press. I tried the synthetic and silk settings on my iron with steam. I tried using spray starch on a scrap piece and it left water marks so was afraid to use starch.
Hmmm, yeah I’ve always been very cautious using starch with silks and satins (although I tend to use a spray/misting bottle with a teaspoon of cornstarch and filled with water shaken real good before spritzing). Slippery fabrics just stay slippery though. If you feel the need to stabilize the fabric more, buy a cheap roll of tracing paper or similar, trace the pattern/seam that you want to sew on it, then pin the fabric layers on top of the thin paper. It’ll hold the fabrics the way you need them, and you can tear it out really easily without affecting the seam once it’s sewn. I bought a roll of the thinnest paper/vellum/whatever it’s called at Staples (initially to trace my own patterns onto) and that stuff has come in handy in ways I never expected!

And I simply must ask… what’s the plan for next years'? ;)

MaggieJ":dblphy0w said:

I love the suggestions of the wide scarves, and I am imagining a light, silky, quilted throw blanket would be lovely as well! I wonder how hard it would be to “unravel” a few of those items and knit up a light summer shawl, though? If a few of the pieces had a thicker silk “thread”, of course. :?

Or you could sew a wide and somewhat lengthy infinity scarf (one of those scarves that’s basically a long loop?) and wear it twisted as a cardigan! I’ve seen people wear them crossed over in the front, too. So basically, they put the scarf over their head and let it drop down to their waist, give it a twist in front and drape the top half of the loop over their shoulders as a shawl… I think it looks very stylish and modest. :oops:

Latest posts

Back