What is your rabbits daily diet?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
My rabbit's diet is very basic:
12 table spoons pellets
A handful of hay ( a large one! He sure likes his hay! :lol: )
He will also gets a small treat sometimes 2!
What do your rabbits eat everyday?

Most of mine get everyday
1/6 cup purina show pellets
1/6 cup purina complete pellets
1/2 tbsp black oil sunflower seeds
1/4 tbsp calf manna
1/4 tbsp old fashioned oatmeal

everyone but my mini lops gets 1 cup of pellets a day. mini lops get 1/2 a cup. moms with litters and kits under 5 or 6 months get free-fed.
newly kindled does get a handful or so of BOSS
growouts in the colony (older than 8 weeks old,) get several handfuls of BOSS to help em get chunky
everyone gets an appropriate amount of hay as well - they typically get enough to much on all day but all the racks are empty in the morning

maybe not every day, but at least a couple times a week i will go and 'mow' the lawn a little and give everyone a heaping handful of rabbit-safe lawn weeds. we and my mother also save veggie and some fruit scraps to give them too, so they get those when we have some.

every day i rotate each rabbit out into the big play yard so they can eat grass and run around and dig if they want. they usually get their turn about once a week. one day we'll build another one (or three!) so we can let more out per day to exercise.

A cup to a cup and a half of pellets per rabbit. The pregnant does get 1.5. Growouts get a full J feeder that is kept that way. I also use a hay rack that stays full for each rabbit.

Lactating does will also get some boss. From time to time they get fresh greens as we have them. This morning it was the ends of the Romaine lettuce and a few leaves. They love the fresh stuff. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 am -- <br /><br /> Forgot to mention I will also use some old fashion oats as a treat from time to time.

One cup of Purina Performance for each Rabbit.
Does with litter, free feed.
Does with litter; also get a daily 1TBSP top dressing of Boss, mana, rolled oats, oats, pumpkin seeds, (sometimes cheeks too)
All rabbits get a large handful each of Timothy Hay.

Generally, each rabbit gets 1 to 1.5 cups of pellets per day
Free fed timothy hay
Banana once per week (to help prevent wool block)
A tablespoon of oats on top of pellets when it's really cold outside
Occasional sunflower seeds, plantain, strawberry leaves, etc, as treats/supplements

i feed my polish rabbit (bambi) a cup of bunny brunch and he has hay constantly and grass a lot, i give him dried parsley on his food sometimes and he goes MAD for it
i'm working at introducing him to vegetables and fruits so i sometimes sneak a couple of tiny pieces of apple into his food; if the weather is wet, i don't like letting him go outside bc i dont want him getting wet so i pick some dandelions and add however many in comparison to his food and he also really likes that

for my netherland dwarf rabbit, she's also on bunny brunch but i noticed that if she has too much of the dried and pressed grape and apple, her poop gets very soft so my vet suggested splitting them apart, so i give her the brown pellets which are essentially grass and some minerals (i know whats in them i just cba typing them out), some of the dried and pressed grape and some of the other ingredients but moderated, she also loves hay too (obviously)

this seems to be working for me at the moment !! :pancake:

Everyone gets a 16% pellet with near daily hay. In non-winter they get all sorts of weeds and greens from the gardens. In addition, my megacolon charlie gets oats, pumpkin, and Bene-Back twice a week to keep him regular and comfortable, no fresh greens for him.

measured feed in the evening of 17% pellets. polish between 1/4 - 1/3 cup pellets. Holland lops 1/2 cup max. Pet flemmish gets 1 cup. She also devours any household greens in the winter.

winter morning routine: two days a grain mix, one day hay, (repeat) one day nothing .

summer morning routine: one day hay, one day grain, four days greens (days alternate) one day nothing

Whenever I do cage changes everyone moved gets a handful of hay.
When weaning, they get a handful of hay.

Large meat rabbits:

We free feed 16% pellets right now, simply because we've been going on short trips, etc... and I've been just filling up their feed containers and haven't stopped yet. I need to switch back to a restricted diet before they get round! :O They are also free-fed hay.

When they are actually sticking to a diet (IE: When I stop being lazy) the bucks get about 2/3rds - 1cup of feed / day and does get about 1 heaping cup. Pregnant and nursing does get free-fed, and kits also get free-feed until butcher.

I also pick a small variety of weeds from the yard and feed them those, at this point we have a ton of dandelion so they are getting lucky :) We also had a plantain show up in our yard so they got a treat! Now we have no plantain unless I go walk to the field down the way... which I might do some mornings.

I like to add BOSS to their feed during the winter times, and while the adults are lovely and eat it with the pellets, the kits will dig the pellets out (waste them) and eat the BOSS. So I have to hand feed the BOSS to them as treats... uhg. Wasteful teenagers. :roll:

They get all the organic alfalfa pellets they want, but that's pretty low on their 'want' to eat list.

There's all kinds of forage pretty much all the time. Mulberry, ti leaf, bean leaves, banana leaves, elephant grass, assorted other grasses, moringa, pigeon pea, strawberry leaves, citrus leaves, etc. etc. All sorts of forages.

They get a big serving of whole wheat/BOSS/calf manna mixed together, heavy on the wheat. It's probably half wheat with a quarter calf manna/ quarter BOSS. The really like that stuff. Now that they're getting more into condition, they'll get a bit less of it. Lactating does get that almost free fed, though. Bucks get a handful but not much more than that. Growing babies get more than bucks. Adult non-bred does get a little bit but not much more than bucks. That's also served in a separate dish because if it's mixed in with their pellets, they just toss the pellets out to get to the BOSS/calf manna.

We had to switch to organic alfalfa since our litters had dropped to just about none and litter sizes were way down as well. After switching to organic earlier this year, the litters have started showing up again.

We have silver fox rabbits.

They all get 3/4 cup a day of Mana-Pro pellets (this changes depending on weight)
Unlimited timothy/ grass hay
and about a handful of fresh greens.

Our growing rabbits get unlimited, pellets hay, handful of fresh greens and about 1/2 tbs of oats with a few BOSS.

We where feeding our nursing doe unlimited pellets while nursing but I think this time we will go for 1 cup in the morning and 1/2 a cup at night until the kits are eating solids because she got pretty fat.

Hi iam new to this got to little fella netherland dwarf rabbits 3 days ago. I live in UK . The owner said best to feed them sweet museli mix rather than pellets and don't really give carrots as too sweet . I tried little gem lettuce today but they refused it . Any ideas what's good to give them plz
:bunnyhop: :pancake: xx

Attachments

• IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,293
I just got back into this, but my himalayans get 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pellets and free fed grass mix hay. We feed a relatively local pellet called Onate, but i'm really just trying it out. They're based in Albuquerque so the pellets are always very green and fresh and I get a 50lb bag for sixteen dollars. Gonna start supplementing with oats as that always seemed to help with condition way back when.

We used to feed Nutrena, but now none of the feed stores carry it and I don't trust Purina, so here we are.

Pellets. Full scoop for Angoras. 3/4 for Rex.

Forage in the summer, whatever I can find.

Latest posts

Back