Mushrooms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
hey ya'll,

so I was given a nearly full commercial sized box of mushrooms and before they go bad I am wondering if I can feed them to my buns. I am asking because I am having a really difficult time finding info for it online

Thanks!

I've read that squirrels will eat certain wild mushrooms--including some that will kill people. It's one of those exceptions to the general rule that people can eat what animals eat.

Commercial mushrooms, of course, are not toxic to people, but it still doesn't mean that they are a desirable food for rabbits.

I would probably not try it myself. There were some reports in my mycological society of people suffering mild ill effects from eating uncooked button (common grocery store, Agaricus bisporus) mushrooms in quantity. Cooking mitigated that risk, but it suggested maybe there is a mild toxic effect. (The dose making the poison and all that).

Personally, if they're even reasonable quality (and I assume they'd have to be to consider feeding them to your herd?) I'd go with the plan to dehydrate them for human use instead.

Edit/PS:
MaggieJ":233daqsk said:
I've read that squirrels will eat certain wild mushrooms--including some that will kill people. It's one of those exceptions to the general rule that people can eat what animals eat.

Can verify. Squirrel stole a mushroom from me on a foray and cached it. (He was likely going to be really disappointing to find it's not nearly as nice after 3 months of storage...)

Latest posts

Back