Register

Hand feeding newborn kits

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,650.00

Re: Hand feeding newborn kits

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Homer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 am

I never worried about it at first...but. You could use a dampened paper towel just don't get them "wet". or...you can use your tongue just don't slobber on them. :laugh2:

After they are a couple weeks old you could use some D.E. powder once in awhile if you want/think it's mites. Soon they'll start grooming each other and it should go away.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 1,958.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:58 am

I don't think it's mites at all, I assumed it was some sort of coating left on their skin from birth that the mother usually ends up licking off in a few days by just routine cleaning since I'd never seen this before. They have shiny heathy fur so I don't think disease or mites. Just didn't know if it would irritate their skin to have it peel off slowly like this or if it was recommended to go ahead and clean them with a warm damp cloth. Thanks Homer!

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,836.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

2CrazyFools wrote:Nymph, I think you have just the cutest forum moniker, with a great nickname! Where did it come from and what is the story behind it?

Whoops, sorry for taking so long to respond (the weekend was even busier than my week, so I didn’t get to check in until this morning again)! I am a super mega Harry Potter fan, and decided to go with Tonks’ first name as my forum name because… well I like it. And she’s an awesome character. And then I found that awesome avatar online, and well, it just all came together. Once we get our rabbitry going I might change the name, but I’m pretty happy with it, and I like the nickname. :oops:

Homer wrote:
2CrazyFools wrote:Should I be concerned about the flaking on the kits? Should I try to clean it off like a mother would? (Well, with a towel not with my tongue..) Or just let it be?

I never worried about it at first...but. You could use a dampened paper towel just don't get them "wet". or...you can use your tongue just don't slobber on them. :laugh2:

:rotfl:
You guys crack me up! I’ve seen a ton of posts both here and on Facebook with kits that look “flaky” like this too, and for the most part it seems to be kind of like dandruff (or cradle cap, honestly). I’m gonna place my bets that the kits will be fine with some clean-up. I’ve heard a sponge run under warm water and then squeezed out really well so it’s only the littlest bit moist works really well, too.

They still melt my heart, the little ones. :in_love:
Send them my love, Crazy!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#19  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Help! One of my kits is experiencing bloat! I just got home to check on them and his poor little belly is tight and swelled up like a balloon. Is there a treatment?? I know Homer mentioned increasing the probiotic slightly but that wouldn't help this kit right now would it? I know what caused it this morning, he ate way too much way too fast. Feeding time this morning was at 6-7am, so it's been about 9 hours.

Is there anything I can do at this point or would it be best to put the poor guy out of his misery? :cry: I do have needles and a syringe, would it be a horrid idea to puncture and let out the air? EDIT: Just read "A rabbit’s stomach should never be decompressed with a needle puncture, or peritonitis and death can occur." So I guess that's out of the question.

I inquired with my "local" rabbit vet and at minimum it would cost me $100 just for a vet diagnosis. -_-

Still moving around well, but that poor belly. I feel horrid. If more antibiotic will help, how do I get him to eat some???? I picked him up and he was sniffing at my fingers so he's interested even though he's so... extended. :(

Headed to the store to pick up some simethicone for infants. I just don't know what else to do.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,450.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby shazza » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm

it happens often with kittens too, and usually we just hold it and massage the belly until it passes some of the air and feels better. another really common cause (again in kittens, they're what i have most experience hand feeding, so im not sure how much applies to rabbits,) is they just haven't pooped in a while. belly massage and gently rubbing its butt with a wet wipe can usually get the process started. bottle fed kittens are really prone to constipation because of the formula, so i can imagine that rabbit kits are a similar case. i would hold off feeding him this next meal and instead focus on trying to get him to pass either clogged poop or gas, whichever one it is.

good luck :(
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits

Site Supporter

Post Number:#21  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks Shazza, I'm pretty sure it's not a bathroom issue. I noticed this poor kit ate quite a lot this morning and I was very mildly concerned about it when I left for class. Then when I get home I see his stomach has gotten BIGGER and now sounds like a balloon to the caress of my fingertips. That hollow gassy sound. I was just so happy he was eating enthusiastically this morning I wasn't watching how much he was consuming. :(

I administered some liquid simethicone (maybe .2ml?) really just enough to get his mouth wet from it and a few swallows.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,836.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:16 pm

2CrazyFools wrote:I noticed this poor kit ate quite a lot this morning and I was very mildly concerned about it when I left for class. Then when I get home I see his stomach has gotten BIGGER and now sounds like a balloon to the caress of my fingertips. That hollow gassy sound.

:(
Poor little kit… hopefully the simethicone works and he feels better soon. That’s such a bummer.

I'm crossing my fingers for you guys!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Homer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 pm

:o Good luck my friend. This does happen and that's why I wasn't sure about the pro-bio you went with. Seems I remember reading goat wasn't the best to use (for bunnies). Maybe the Simethicone will do it's job. BEST of luck!!!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#24  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Well he's still alive and active. Very hungry ("Feed me! Feed me NOW.") but still bloated so I haven't fed him anything other than another tiny dose of the Simethicone. Keep crossing your fingers guys.

-- Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm --

Good news. His belly has gone down! It's still bloated, but at about 1/3rd what it was. Y'all crossing your fingers worked really well so far! I fed the rest of the kits and man is this guy hungry, he's licking off the formula that is on the other kits faces. So I gave him a VERY LITTLE bit of formula, about as much as I'm doing of the simethicone at ~0.2ml.

I gave him the .2 ml of simethicone at 4ish, then again at 8 ish, and now one last small dose at 10. Goodness I hope he makes it through the night, but like I said, he's VERY active. Trying to feed him just a little formula and he was crawling out of my hands trying to get to it. I added a little extra probiotics to this formula, just to be on the safe side.

Homer - Is the Bene-Bac a powder form or liquid? I'm looking at purchasing some online and having it shipped here. Is this it? Bene-bac Amazon.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,773.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Sounds like your lil guy might be past the worst of it. I sure hope so! :clover: :clover: :clover:

I've been following this thread, but I really had nothing useful to add, since I've never hand-fed kits.
Last edited by MaggieJ on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos

Site Supporter

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Homer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 pm

2CrazyFools wrote:Well he's still alive and active. Very hungry ("Feed me! Feed me NOW.") but still bloated so I haven't fed him anything other than another tiny dose of the Simethicone. Keep crossing your fingers guys.

-- Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm --

Good news. His belly has gone down! It's still bloated, but at about 1/3rd what it was. Y'all crossing your fingers worked really well so far! I fed the rest of the kits and man is this guy hungry, he's licking off the formula that is on the other kits faces. So I gave him a VERY LITTLE bit of formula, about as much as I'm doing of the simethicone at ~0.2ml.

I gave him the .2 ml of simethicone at 4ish, then again at 8 ish, and now one last small dose at 10. Goodness I hope he makes it through the night, but like I said, he's VERY active. Trying to feed him just a little formula and he was crawling out of my hands trying to get to it. I added a little extra probiotics to this formula, just to be on the safe side.

Homer - Is the Bene-Bac a powder form or liquid? I'm looking at purchasing some online and having it shipped here. Is this it? Bene-bac Amazon.

Glad he's doing better for you! Yes the stuff in the Amazon ad is what I used when I worked on modifying the formula Miss M had posted years ago.

I'm sure he's hungry but I'd wait till morning to feed him and then not to much. maybe give him a few drops of water to hold him over.

edit: It's a powder Crazy.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#27  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

Everyone is alive this morning! No more bloating! :D

Here's what the poor bun looked like yesterday around 3:30. :(
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 9.40.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 9.40.38 AM.png (543.64 KiB) Viewed 114 times

I'm having a difficult time figuring out which "bottle" to use. I tried the syringe we have and that was overly messy, and I liked the glass eye dropper but.... it's glass. I'm worried about these guys biting down to the point it breaks in their mouth. I've got a larger plastic eye dropper but it's too big, and I purchased a kitten nursing bottle with exchangable tips and well, it just doesn't seem to work well at all! I'm going to expand the hole and see if that helps. *grumbles*

I'm just glad everyone is okay. :oops:

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,450.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby shazza » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

glass droppers are surprisingly tough, and at least right now, they shouldn't be strong enough to hurt it. and yeah...those kitten feeding kits are NOTORIOUS for having the tiniest holes in the nipples imaginable. we always cut them bigger as soon as we open them lol. did you get one with the different nipples or just the kitten one? i think there's a long skinny nipple in some of them that's supposed to be for rabbits. the pet ag ones in general seem sub-par in general - they never seem to flow as well. there was another brand that we can't get anymore (hartz maybe?) that was much better. you'd think there was no difference, but after 10 years of fostering kittens you realize not all products are made the same, haha.

glad to hear he's doing well
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits

Site Supporter

Post Number:#29  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

Well from what I can tell they didn't have any holes in them to begin with so I cut a pretty decent sized "X" on the tip, but still it's been aggravating. So I just now snipped an itsy bitsy part off of each X tip to produce a small hole as well as the X. This way it should be easier for the babies to suck it out without me needing to apply any pressure on the bottle. Which I think is what helped contribute to the overfeeding yesterday morning.

This is the bottle I purchased from PetCo, "Well & Good." It did come with the long and skinny nipple and I started out with that one but it would bend away from their mouthes and just make a big mess, or they would latch on and shoot their head forward and take the WHOLE thing into their mouth and neck. :shock:

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,545.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby akane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am

If bloat happens again aside from increasing the probiotic I might lower the sugar a little temporarily. Bacteria love sugars like corn syrup and can produce excessive gas from it. Personally I don't like it in the mix but the extra energy can make up for a poor feeding and the reduced concentration of formulas compared to rabbit milk so you don't have to feed as often. It's been an old stand by forever in rabbit raising formulas. Definitely massage the stomach. Usually they will stimulate each other enough wiggling around and even just picking one up a river of pee can come out so it usually doesn't take much but sometimes one gets a bit stuck. With kittens a little olive oil can fix bloat from stuck stool. I had one so backed up fermenting formula came out for 2 days after I got her and started oil in her formula. The smell! With rabbits I would be more concerned about gas blocking stool though. The long digestive tract of a rabbit doesn't move gas out very efficiently. If it really does seem like it's not solid stool and it won't go away a drop of liquid simethicone (you can get it for infants) may help stick the bubbles together so the intestines can push it better. I didn't try it but mints will also help gas and reduce intestinal inflammation but it's hard to get a fresh, good quality into kits since they are on liquid only diets. I haven't tried using extracts but I use dissolvable tablets and teas on my own overly sensitive digestive tract and it makes a huge difference within 12-24hrs if you are having trouble digesting something. The problem is I can sit here drinking 3 mugs of mint tea through the day where you've got only a couple feedings a day with just enough liquid for the formula to get anything in the kits. Such a micro level makes the necessary concentration of things different and having not tried it I'm not sure the amount or type that would be the most helpful. Probably couldn't hurt to use mint water to mix the formula if they start to go downhill because you've got a very short window to bring them back to good health. Kits not digesting food become inactive kits not producing body heat and then they will have even more trouble digesting and you rapidly get a digestive tract that completely stops functioning correctly so at that point it's whatever I can think of to soothe things and get them moving again.

For rabbit sized nipples which can go on syringes and some bottles see the squirrel store. A google search will probably find it. Problem is the time to ship anything to you after you find the problem instead of being prepared ahead of time. It's unlikely they will break anything glass. They are far from that strength if it's not breaking in your hand and especially if you can drop it on the floor with no damage which usually you can with glass droppers.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
2CrazyFools

PreviousNext