Showing Tips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houston

Reaction score
Hey! I'm going to be going to my first show in April, and wanted some advice on who to bring. I'm absolutely going to bring Lancelot (8 months), as he's a pretty buck, even if he's a bit hard to pose.

tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo1_1280.jpg

I want to bring his sister, Guinevere (also 8 months), as well. She poses better and has a better body shape, I think, but has a white patch from where she pulled some fur. Would this be an instant DQ? If it is, should I bring her anyway?
tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2w232GVi1r8kk1bo6_1280.jpg

Then I have 7 of their half siblings (3 months). Would these guys be too young to show? I won't post pictures of all of them, but here's their general appearance.
tumblr_on2wn2EXK11r8kk1bo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2wn2EXK11r8kk1bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2wn2EXK11r8kk1bo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2wn2EXK11r8kk1bo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_on2wn2EXK11r8kk1bo6_1280.jpg

I think their hips and shoulders aren't quite up to snuff, but this is what Lance and Guin looked like, so they should fill out.

Additionally, how should I get them to the show? I would like to order the show cages, but I'm not sure what size I'd need for a Silver Fox. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!!

Then I have 7 of their half siblings (3 months). Would these guys be too young to show?

It's determined by minimum weight rather than age. For Silver Fox, the minimum showing weight is 4.5 pounds. You'd have to show them as juniors.
SF juniors: Under 6 months of age and between 4.5 to 9 pounds
SF intermediate bucks: 6-8 months and not over 10 pounds
SF intermediate does: 6-8 months and not over 10.5 pounds
SF senior bucks: Over 8 months and between 9 to 11 pounds
SF senior does: Over 8 months and between 10 to 12 pounds

I've never raised Silver Fox, so I don't know if the white patch on Guinevere is a DQ or not. But I did find this in the ARBA 2011-2015 SOP for general DQs:

Foreign colored spots in any animal. White spots on a colored animal. Colored spots in a white animal. All apply unless specifically exempted in the breed standard.

So, probably? I'd still get an actual SF breeder's opinion on that question.

I hope this helped somewhat. I'd definitely recommend purchasing the ARBA Standard of Perfection.
Good luck with your first show and have fun!

The white spot is a DQ, but you could always show it, just for comments or the chance that a judge may miss it

As far as carriers, Klubertanz, in Wisconsin has carriers and it lists the dimensions. As does Bass in Missouri.
Find a box with similar dimensions and see what looks right. They should be able to turn completely and Have room for food and water. I prefer they have enough space they can fully sprawl out and lay down.

If you have a nervous or #difficult animal then dab a little of vanilla on their nose. It calms them down. ( Just make sure it doesn't look wet for judging. :D ) :rabbit-hop1: :rabbit-hop1:

Back