In a bit of a "Funk" .... :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in "a funk"
.... that frustrated, annoyed feeling that you aren't going to achieve your goals; combined with the fear that you might be headed in the wrong direction entirely....

Over the last year or two I have been carefully following a timeline and plan for achieving my goal of having a small farm that paid for it's self...
I am not looking to make a mint at this, or even a profit, but hoping I can have a solid business plan and have enough income to pay for the feed and part of the mortgage.
I am still living Urban, so I would like to have a solid customer base by the time I am financially prepared to purchase the farm.

I am trying to building a client base based on jelly/jam/pickles , pasture raised chicken and locally grown rabbit, started veggie plants for the garden in the spring.. all at the local farmers market.... I would like to add quail for meat and eggs this year, but don't feel like I have established a base for my chicken and rabbit yet~!

****I guess I'm venting my frustrations a little (hoping that letting off steam will deflate the :funk:)

****I am also looking to hear any success stories to lift my spirits and get my creative juices flowing!

I am doing this because I want to do something I love and feel passion about.... animals, eating local, eating clean, educating others on were their food comes from, alternative healing, gardens, plants, all things green... those are the things I want to do....
(my office job isn't cutting it any more...my mind is always in the barn or garden)

Because of legalities, most of my rabbit and quail sales are for pet food and I cannot keep up with demand, but have no interest in expanding my production so this market can be rather lucrative

Thanks Everyone!!!
I will definitely check out Truckinguy! (although North of Toronto is about 5 hours from me...lol)

YES, A website is on the list of things to do... When we rented a 2.5 acre farm, I had a website.... but I let it go when the owner sold and we had to move back into our house in town.

I'll have to check out the dog food angle.

I think Quail are so much fun... raised a couple for a friend in my garage one winter.... Cute little dickens... And would make awesome pickled Eggs!! :D

I will definitely check out Truckinguy! (although North of Toronto is about 5 hours from me...lol)

Is it really??? :? Google estimated it at about 3.5 hours, which is far enough. I grew up in the east side of Toronto--the farthest west I've been is Fort Erie, so my geography beyond that is kind of sketchy. :lol:

All the same, the regulations and general culture are going to be quite similar, so I'm sure you can get some tips from him. He's a very nice, helpful sort of guy.

MaggieJ":1m93mui5 said:

Is it really??? :? Google estimated it at about 3.5 hours, which is far enough. I grew up in the east side of Toronto--the farthest west I've been is Fort Erie, so my geography beyond that is kind of sketchy. :lol:

All the same, the regulations and general culture are going to be quite similar, so I'm sure you can get some tips from him. He's a very nice, helpful sort of guy.

I always count time for TORONTO traffic.. it can add an hour to any drive - plus I have to add time for rest stops.......lol... :lol: .... my travel math is kinda like rabbit math..... whatever googles says and add at least an hour to the travel time. :)

Quail also broaden your market too hunters and dog enthusiasts. I purchased quail every year to train with, and had that person had rabbit meat available to feed my dogs, I would have definitely bought that. Manure and fishing worms are also something that brings people in, and then you're selling them plants, seeds, and eggs.

Latest posts

Back