Show me your makeshift gates and latches!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Random request, I know :lol:

I am planning out fencing options for the chickens, pigs, and my garden areas... I have some ideas, but then get stumped on easy access for going in and out. I don't want to spend a fortune on actual gates and latches if I can rig up something else. We're out in the country, redneck-yet-functional is the way of the game ;) :lol: I need some for people access, but also some ways for chickens to go from one area to another that I can then block off so that particular lot can regrown. I am thinking cattle panels right now, depending on cost for ones that have small enough holes the chickens can't get through. For the chicken holes the thought I have right now is using j-clips to make a hinged door that I can wire shut, like a lot of the wire rabbit cages. If not cattle panels, then a couple/few rolls of this stuff http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=IOPDP1

Don't overlook the possibilities of used chain link, gates and so forth. Spring is a good time to look--people tend to upgrade then, and the old stuff, still functional if not beautiful, goes fairly reasonably around here.

Four feet high is not enough to keep my chickens IN. We gave up years ago and let them free range. Very few losses, though we have lots of predators. It will usually keep them out (of the garden, for instance) but not always. Depends what they see on the other side.

MaggieJ":1lfp75aj said:
Don't overlook the possibilities of used chain link, gates and so forth. Spring is a good time to look--people tend to upgrade then, and the old stuff, still functional if not beautiful, goes fairly reasonably around here.

Four feet high is not enough to keep my chickens IN. We gave up years ago and let them free range. Very few losses, though we have lots of predators. It will usually keep them out (of the garden, for instance) but not always. Depends what they see on the other side.

We have bird netting going from the top of the coop around the edges. The current chicken lot is a cheap chain link set we bought down the road :cool: . And they were mostly free range until this past week - Monday going into Tuesday we had a neighbor's dog go on a killing spree :cry: . He's been coming around off and on for a while - a couple months ago I caught him going after a guinea and scared him off... hadn't seen him around much since then. Lost a guinea and 2 hens disappeared, but no proof and they were sporadic (not like we don't have other predator options) - weeks or months between instances. Not sure what switch flipped but I know of 6 for sure in less than 24 hours :evil: . It's going to take a while for me to trust leaving them out... unfortunately (he's penned up, and the owner knows he better stay there). There were several chain link lots for $90 or so a couple weeks ago, but now that I am ready to buy there aren't any options other than new. Grrr... We'll seed something a little sturdier for the pigs anyway, they are strong, and still small enough to slip out of the bottom.

Start trolling the subdivision neighbourhoods on garbage pick-up day (you can get the maps from the town on were garbage day is)

People will start doing spring cleaning and pool setup....
I'd be looking for those above ground pool ladders.... they have stairs on either side, sometimes handles too... just pop one of those over the fence and you have access.
Old doors... cut in half and hung on a post..
Tables with legs broken (same kinda thing)

You would be very surprised what people in subdivisions will throw out!

For people access gates, we simply use a couple half pallets (freebies since bro-in-law gets them at work), tack on spare wire and then use 4 inch wide canvas (another freebie) for makeshift hinges. Works great for the chicken coop.
Rabbit cage door latches are simply thick tie wire bent into a hook over a large nail. It works, so far at least.

Good ideas! Thanks!

Not sure how many subdivisions we have around town... there are some newer builds north of us though. I'll have to start paying closer attention...

Back