**Updated Hand Feeding Formula**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2CrazyFools":c3c6iyr3 said:
Homer":c3c6iyr3 said:
The Bene-Bac, the pro-biotic I use can be purchased at Petsmart in a hurry or ordered cheaper from Dr. Fosters.
Thanks! I'll swing by there when I'm headed to tractor supply. I found it with the dog and cat over the counter meds.

As for making them potty I never did. Put them all back together and the wiggling around will take care of that for you. :)

Even the newborns? Not sure about that. Mine were a week old and just had to put my hand in with them and they started hunting for food again even though they just ate. Try rubbing their tummy with a warm damp cloth after feeding.

One last thing. Don't get the formula to hot before feeding. Even using hot water for the heat source you can burn their throat then you have a bigger issue to deal with...don't ask. :oops: Had that happen to one and it was a pain to deal with.

How warm should I get it? Like feeding a baby, use your wrist and put a drop on it. If you feel a "little" heat you're good to go.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

Good luck! I'm off to work now but will check in a lunch time. ;)

Best wishes keeping these little guys going! I never did anything to expel waste, even on my singleton kit. I think momma licking when feeding was enough. I just never worried about it, although we did rub/pet her some, and she liked it:)

Thanks everyone, I couldn't find any bene-bac probiotic at petsmart, even asked them and they said they must no longer carry it. So I ended up going with the goat probiotic that I linked in an earlier comment, currently heating the mixture up and about to give it a whirl.

I assume this stuff will be just fine if I keep the excess in the refrigerator? Not sure how much of it they are going to eat today.

Just like Homer said, change out the formula every day. Make fresh every morning, toss the remainder after the last feeding. Your local vet should have some over the counter that you can purchase if in a hurry.

I just had an idea on how to keep the formula warm when feeding a whole litter. An insulated coffee mug! Just make sure to pre-heat with hot water then add your to temp formula and cover.

I thought this would be the best place to post this. Maybe someone will find it helpfull.

Well, now that I always breed at least 3 does at a time I think I found somthing that might work! :p I have bottle fed 3 litters on pure goats milk (I have dairy goats) and I got about 5% survival rate... And the last orphaned litter I had was orphaned at 10 days I managed to wean them and got a 60% survival rate. But all the kits seemed stunted... I think my biggest problem with bottle feeding was that I always waited until I was sure the doe wasn't going to feed them to take them in. And by then it was too late.

I'm really glad that I found this. I hope not to have to use it but with all the puzzle pieces I'm working with in my herd, I'd like to keep litters with does that birth them instead of fostering everyone out like I had to this year. I think this will help me a lot as I can go through the litters and bottle feed just the ones that need that little extra

Shea":k26ehwqr said:
I had a stray thought what if you used this concept http://rabbittalk.com/a-question-about-gut-bacteria-t32396.html?hilit=gut bacteria#p321353
With the hand feed formula? Say replace the probiotic with the natural form?

Rabbit kits will ingest some of momma's poop or cecatropes when they are with her, so it might be a help. I think, however, that it would occur naturally when they are a bit older. I don't know how helpful it would be for very young kits, but if you decide to try it, please post the results.

I’m using this formula with newborn checkered giant kits, but we are using whole goats milk fresh off the goat. I’m just curious if I should be using evaporated goats milk or if what I’m doing is fine? We lost two of the original survivors. She had ten, five were alive though one seemed to have some sort of neurological issue and we lost him the first night. The remaining three are five days old now and they’re alive but don’t seem to be growing all that well.

(Edited to remove double post)

Not knowing how whole goat milk stacks up but doubt it is as high in fat and protein here is Meyenberg Goat Milk label, (evaporated). When I worked on this I didn't lose any so it's either the milk or other issues you mentioned. Sorry I can't be more help. Mt grow rate was very good once I started adding the probiotic to stop the bloat some were experiencing. You might try making a couple batches with a can and see if there is any change.

Meyenberg
Nutrition Label

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp

Servings Per Container: 12

amount per serving

calories: 35

calories from fat: 15

total calories per container: 420

total calories from fat: 180

% daily value* (DV)

recommended (DV)

total fat 2g