How to stop a predator???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew! Here's hoping it will all be over with soon!

We just had a predator issue with a dog. I lost a guinea a while back, and a couple of chickens have vanished. I had my suspicions, but no proof - and for a while the dog in particular wasn't coming around. Yesterday morning I hit the ground running (almost quite literally) when I heard a very odd squawk from a chicken. Caught our neighbors dog in the act. Unfortunately he already got to one of my only 2 guineas left :cry: and had my only rooster in his mouth (normally people wouldn't feel much pain if it were a rooster, but his dad was amazing, and he inherited those genetics... mild mannered, not at all aggressive towards us). The trail of rooster feathers started just feet from where the guinea was buried (yeah, the dingbat buried my guinea in one of the kids garden beds :evil: if it weren't for a single feather that caught my eye I wouldn't have found it for a while - the mass amt of feathers were in another part of the yard) - I am thinking he was back there in the mix when he had the guinea. I got as many chickens as I could in the coop, by the time we got home he had figured out a way into the run and gotten another one. I was pi$$ed so say the least - so angry I was sick to my stomach. DH went to talk to the owner's dad and he said he would let them know, he told them they "didn't need no dog" that they were nothing but trouble. The owner came by a little while later to apologize and offer to pay for the ones killed. He is now penned up and they are shopping for an electric fence. Thankfully they weren't afraid to admit to his wrongdoing, and commented that "If it had been Jimmy (DH's gpa) that found him I know he would have just shot him" - he knows the ropes around here. He did say the dog had come home with a badly injured leg a while back so I am wondering if he has already gotten familiar with a gun. I was taking practice shots on walnuts, just in case :twisted: . He said his wife thought she saw white feathers in his mouth the other day - I told him that would be from someone else, I don't have white chickens :x . Could have been some of the underfeathers (whatever they are called), but if nothing else, maybe that one comment will spread the options if he does get out and "disappear" - it won't be tied as directly to me.

FourRingCircus":f6x6j04h said:
Whew! Here's hoping it will all be over with soon!

We just had a predator issue with a dog. I lost a guinea a while back, and a couple of chickens have vanished. I had my suspicions, but no proof - and for a while the dog in particular wasn't coming around. Yesterday morning I hit the ground running (almost quite literally) when I heard a very odd squawk from a chicken. Caught our neighbors dog in the act. Unfortunately he already got to one of my only 2 guineas left :cry: and had my only rooster in his mouth (normally people wouldn't feel much pain if it were a rooster, but his dad was amazing, and he inherited those genetics... mild mannered, not at all aggressive towards us). The trail of rooster feathers started just feet from where the guinea was buried (yeah, the dingbat buried my guinea in one of the kids garden beds :evil: if it weren't for a single feather that caught my eye I wouldn't have found it for a while - the mass amt of feathers were in another part of the yard) - I am thinking he was back there in the mix when he had the guinea. I got as many chickens as I could in the coop, by the time we got home he had figured out a way into the run and gotten another one. I was pi$$ed so say the least - so angry I was sick to my stomach. DH went to talk to the owner's dad and he said he would let them know, he told them they "didn't need no dog" that they were nothing but trouble. The owner came by a little while later to apologize and offer to pay for the ones killed. He is now penned up and they are shopping for an electric fence. Thankfully they weren't afraid to admit to his wrongdoing, and commented that "If it had been Jimmy (DH's gpa) that found him I know he would have just shot him" - he knows the ropes around here. He did say the dog had come home with a badly injured leg a while back so I am wondering if he has already gotten familiar with a gun. I was taking practice shots on walnuts, just in case :twisted: . He said his wife thought she saw white feathers in his mouth the other day - I told him that would be from someone else, I don't have white chickens :x . Could have been some of the underfeathers (whatever they are called), but if nothing else, maybe that one comment will spread the options if he does get out and "disappear" - it won't be tied as directly to me.

Glad your neighbor took responsibility. Mine would have seen the dog with feathers in his mouth and said those aren't feathers and its not his dog I am seeing. But, luckily for you, you have a good neighbor. :runaround: :rant: :jedai:

TheChad":2zoloxmr said:
Glad your neighbor took responsibility. Mine would have seen the dog with feathers in his mouth and said those aren't feathers and its not his dog I am seeing. But, luckily for you, you have a good neighbor. :runaround: :rant: :jedai:

For sure - I am thankful it wasn't a big deal. We discussed keeping quite and SSS, but I had to carry their other dog from the road after it got hit by a car... his son was 3 or so at the time, made me feel awful... he wanted to pet "Chase" (who was dead - I told him he couldn't b/c he was pretty hurt... just laid him in the back of their pickup truck) and said something about "Marshall" (aka chicken killer) - didn't take me long to figure out he named them after Paw Patrol.

As for your neighbor in denial, if it's "not his dog," then I guess he doesn't have anything to be concerned about, huh? :roll: :twisted:

Well it happened again. This time it went through the area where I feed the rabbits. It killed two little ones and two escaped. I caught them and put them in a box in the basement. I am at the point where I am going to hunt him. No more waiting.

Unfortunately, I had pulled the game camera in last night because I wanted to see if the pit was with the other dog I captured. He was. I am looking in to the hot wire options. Only choice I can see at this point. I hate to do that since I feel I am close to killing it.

I am also considering killing one of the little rabbits that survived and baiting the cage with it. To try and get this animal. I honestly don't know what else to do. Sorry I am ranting, but I am about to blow a gasket here. Very, very upset. :evil: :storm-cloud: :rant: :rant: :wall: :furious: :gun: :bash: :annihilate: :2guns:

MFDC1773.JPG
MFDC1775.JPG
MFDC1778.JPG

damage.JPG

-- Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am --

FourRingCircus":1tx9q1nk said:
TheChad":1tx9q1nk said:

For sure - I am thankful it wasn't a big deal. We discussed keeping quite and SSS, but I had to carry their other dog from the road after it got hit by a car... his son was 3 or so at the time, made me feel awful... he wanted to pet "Chase" (who was dead - I told him he couldn't b/c he was pretty hurt... just laid him in the back of their pickup truck) and said something about "Marshall" (aka chicken killer) - didn't take me long to figure out he named them after Paw Patrol.

As for your neighbor in denial, if it's "not his dog," then I guess he doesn't have anything to be concerned about, huh? :roll: :twisted:

Ya that is sad. My son just got in to paw patrol and it scares me that he likes dogs. No real fear there. I keep him right by side at all times out there.

I'd be madder than a wet hen at this point!

I would honestly take time off work and stalk the Evil Dogs (not the original words I was thinking... trying to keep it PG)

Total hunter mode... Tree stand and the whole works... talk to your hunter friends, you might be able to create a watch and get the dogs taken care of in a couple of days.

I don't know about that electric fence, but the reviews look promising! This is what we have from Home Depot and it works really well. The one you're looking at is 1.2 kilovolts and the one I purchased is 1.9 kilovolts, I don't think it would be much of a difference, still enough to shock the dogs to make them back off!

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.02.16 PM.png

I ran an outdoor extension cord from our outlet by the back door (under the covered patio) to the fence post out in the yard, then got one of those waterproof boxes (also from HD) and installed an outdoor outlet inside it. Waterproofed where it attached to the box with some liquid nails caulking and drilled holes in the bottom for the extension cord to attach (stripped of the end and wired directly to the outlet) and for the electric line and ground line to run out. (I haven't opened it up in awhile but I'm guessing there's probably all sorts of spiders inside, lol. Heck, that's where I'd be if I were a spider...) it works really well, I just unplug the extension cord and then mow the lawn. (Or forget and zap myself...)

My poor dog got zapped here recently again, craning in a little too close to the rabbit pen and ... cue the yelping and running to the back door. :( Sorry kid, I know what that feels like!

Good luck Chad! So sorry you're dealing with this but you'll be so glad you invested in the electric wire, definitely peace of mind! Also, we have our fence running 24/7 and don't notice any increase in electric bill. I plan on putting electric fence up at all of our future homes.

2CrazyFools":a9euhr81 said:
I don't know about that electric fence, but the reviews look promising! This is what we have from Home Depot and it works really well. The one you're looking at is 1.2 kilovolts and the one I purchased is 1.9 kilovolts, I don't think it would be much of a difference, still enough to shock the dogs to make them back off!

I ran an outdoor extension cord from our outlet by the back door (under the covered patio) to the fence post out in the yard, then got one of those waterproof boxes (also from HD) and installed an outdoor outlet inside it. Waterproofed where it attached to the box with some liquid nails caulking and drilled holes in the bottom for the extension cord to attach (stripped of the end and wired directly to the outlet) and for the electric line and ground line to run out. (I haven't opened it up in awhile but I'm guessing there's probably all sorts of spiders inside, lol. Heck, that's where I'd be if I were a spider...) it works really well, I just unplug the extension cord and then mow the lawn. (Or forget and zap myself...)

My poor dog got zapped here recently again, craning in a little too close to the rabbit pen and ... cue the yelping and running to the back door. :( Sorry kid, I know what that feels like!

Good luck Chad! So sorry you're dealing with this but you'll be so glad you invested in the electric wire, definitely peace of mind! Also, we have our fence running 24/7 and don't notice any increase in electric bill. I plan on putting electric fence up at all of our future homes.

I went with the model I shared. Worst case I have to upgrade to something stronger. Will see how it goes. I plan to get it all hooked up this weekend. I bought a kill switch for when I go out to feed them in the mornings. I am sure I will forget one morning and get zapped. <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 am -- <br /><br /> The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. This morning I trapped an opossum. I was considering processing one of the rabbits to bait the trap, but he will do even better. I gave him a 22 to the head and moved him to the back of the cage. I could smell him, so I am sure the dogs will as well. Just hoping the cats leave him alone. I had noticed some digging in the yard and I am guessing he was a part of that. Hopefully it will be the two birds with one bullet.

TheChad":23nfdssz said:
I went with the model I shared. Worst case I have to upgrade to something stronger.

This morning I trapped an opossum... ...I could smell him, so I am sure the dogs will as well.

Great to hear about the opossum! Got rid of one pest and using him to catch the others!

I'm sure what you shared will do just fine with plenty of shock to send the dogs running. I'd suggest running multiple lines to be sure the dogs will get shocked even if they put their paws up on the lattice. We had to do that on our back fence line because there's often strange dogs visiting that neighbor and it's more enticing to chew through the fence again... a double line works well with our pups and not to mention electric fence line is really cheap. One roll should do more than enough to go around your rabbit pen multiple times over!

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.14.20 PM.png

There will be two to three lines. Spaced out around the hutch. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 am -- <br /><br /> Well the opossum didn't catch the dog. I am almost to the point that I think it is aware of the cage. You can see in the pictures that the electric fence is up. It wasn't finished at the point he showed up. My wife caught him doing that and by the time she yelled for me, he was off. So I drove the neighbor hood and found him at a garage. I stopped and talked to the guy that owns it. He is one of my former neighbors. He and his dad said it was a stray that hangs around there. During the day it sleeps in the garage at a mechanics shop next door while he works. I asked if they would keep it there while I went to get some rope and they said he ain't going anywhere. Came back and he was gone. I got played.He also mentioned my neighbor, who is a straight out liar, had let him know I was looking for the dog. If you remember, he said he didn't know whose it was.

But, they told me about the garage next door, so I called animal control and he is going to swing by and see if he can get the dog today. I sent him the pics below so he will be able to identify it easily. Praying this drama ends soon. Crap like this just stresses me. Worrying about your child playing outside is no fun.

MFDC2332.JPG
MFDC2331.JPG
MFDC2330.JPG

Oh boy, what a mess! I hope AC can track it down so you can be done with it! I assume you explained the situation to them... And you have picture proof which most definitely helps!

Hopefully this will get to be the last update. Not celebrating yet, but it is some good news.

So Animal control went to the shop and found the dog. They found out who the owner was as well. The couple live further down the highway. He told me the house and the conditions it is in. I went by and it is about to fall in. He said they were an older couple on disability. They asked to wait till the first of the month till they got their checks to setup a line to put the dog on. I said that is fine. Today he called and said they got a pen and the dogs were in it.

So, that is a good sign. After hearing about their situation and praying about it, I decided to let it slide on going after them. He said the guy was really sorry about the rabbits and wanted to apologize to me.

I will add that I am of the mind set, if you can't care for an animal don't own one.

I am keeping the camera out. We will see if he comes back around. I am hoping he doesn't.

Thanks again to everyone for the support and suggestions!!! :thankyou: Very irritating situation, but it helped having y'alls support.

Sure hope that takes care of it, Chad! :good-luck:

Old age, poor health and financial difficulties can sneak up on people . . . but that's no excuse for letting an aggressive dog run loose.

Not to harp on pits as I think raising one "right" has a lot to do with how dangerous they can be, but we had an incident in town last weekend.

An elderly lady was walking her almost grown pit and was waiting at the train crossing for a train to pass. Sadly, her pit got spooked and dragged her under the train. Poor lady lost both of her legs and both of her dogs were killed.

My adult daughter knew the lady and said she was quite the dingbat and when she heard about her getting the pit puppy several months ago, she commented that was not a good idea as she didn't believe the lady was qualified to raise and train such a powerful dog.

My point is that the elderly couple that own the dog theChad was having problems with have already shown they have difficulty controlling the dog. If that dog already doesn't respect its owners, it will eventually lead to an incident that might harm the owners. Like I said, I have nothing against pits, but large, powerful breeds require specific training and/or bonding, and I have seen plenty of folks who have owned smaller dogs make serious mistakes when trying to train larger breeds.

AnnClaire":2v5ac6gf said:
Not to harp on pits as I think raising one "right" has a lot to do with how dangerous they can be, but we had an incident in town last weekend.

An elderly lady was walking her almost grown pit and was waiting at the train crossing for a train to pass. Sadly, her pit got spooked and dragged her under the train. Poor lady lost both of her legs and both of her dogs were killed.

My adult daughter knew the lady and said she was quite the dingbat and when she heard about her getting the pit puppy several months ago, she commented that was not a good idea as she didn't believe the lady was qualified to raise and train such a powerful dog.

My point is that the elderly couple that own the dog theChad was having problems with have already shown they have difficulty controlling the dog. If that dog already doesn't respect its owners, it will eventually lead to an incident that might harm the owners. Like I said, I have nothing against pits, but large, powerful breeds require specific training and/or bonding, and I have seen plenty of folks who have owned smaller dogs make serious mistakes when trying to train larger breeds.

I agree. <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:36 am -- <br /><br /> I wanted to share some pics of my electric fence setup. I thought it might be helpful to others who might have to go through this.

I will also update my setup post with the pictures, so you can get a better idea on my setup. http://rabbittalk.com/my-setup-with-pictures-t29832.html

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG

I agree too....

All dogs are a huge responsibility. You have to be willing to TRAIN to own a larger dog, but I believe training is just as important in the smaller breeds. (I've seen some of those smaller ones go ape over food and it makes me just a little crazy! Not tolerated in my house!)

Nice TheChad!
Thanks for sharing, I'm looking into something like this for when I have my own space. (currently rent at a horse farm)

SarniaTricia":3m2lneyi said:
All dogs are a huge responsibility. You have to be willing to TRAIN to own a larger dog, but I believe training is just as important in the smaller breeds. (I've seen some of those smaller ones go ape over food and it makes me just a little crazy! Not tolerated in my house!

:yeahthat:
I've owned a lot of large breed dogs in my life (including a mastiff/pitbull mix) and they've all been the sweetest cuddliest pups ever. The meanest dog I've ever met is my sister in-law's little Bichon Frise! Doesn't even come up to my knee and he scares me more than any pitbull ever could! :lol:

Latest posts

Back