Bunny Update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, as some of you may know I had a few of.my rabbits get bloated and look lethargic, I was thinking it was the food but several people said cocci since I had a kit pass. I've since been treating everyone with corid mixed with homemade pedialite (They weren't drinking the water with the store bought stuff.) I also picked up a tube of ivermectin and can't say enough how happy I am that I did. Almost completely rid of the mites, all the cages are being cleaned with ammonia over the course of a few days, bottles and feeders have been boiled. And all the bunnies are looking back to normal again! :)

It's nice to see them interested in eating and active again. For a day or two they were super lazy and uninterested. I kinda still wonder if it was something to do with the previous feed. It had this really nasty tan color but smelled yummy, it did have a few bits of corn in it as well. Thank you all for the advice you gave me and stories you've posted otherwise my rabbits probably wouldn't have made it.

I'm wondering if it was something about the last pellets. It was a brand I hadn't heard of before so I googled it for reviews, I saw only good feedback, but my rabbits didn't want to touch it. I found a few bits of corn that I took out, but have heard it's ok for them to eat? What are the chances of the pellets having some mold on them? Seeing I only had two cages affected. The moms were the two worst off as far as bloated went, followed by the 7 remaining babies from the one mom, funnily enough the other litter wasn't affected only mom. I'm sure they were bloated as I've never seen their bellies so big or felt those bubbles or sloshing in their tummy (Usually feels like it's full of food), they were grinding their teeth as well. The new brand I had switched too was called "Big M", I've since switched back to Southern States, but it seems the local feed store can't keep it in stock lately, so i've got another different brand however this kind is the same color as the previous pellets instead of that nasty brown color.

I had an incident with Purina Complete being mishandled during shipping several years ago ... it made several of my rabbits bloat and start going downhill. My remedy was to return the balance of the feed and the dealer made a complaint to Purina for me. I also bought a bale of alfalfa hay for the sick buns and didn't get new pellets until the new shipment came in.

I am really glad your buns are on the mend. Great job with the homemade pedialyte, and if you ever need to take any, the Parents Choice wal-mart brand tastes waaaaaaay better than the national brand. I like the Cherry better than the other flavors, too. LOL

Above all else, good for you on the cleaning! I have found that to be most important as far as herd health goes!

AnnClaire":1irjqpgp said:
I had an incident with Purina Complete being mishandled during shipping several years ago ... it made several of my rabbits bloat and start going downhill. My remedy was to return the balance of the feed and the dealer made a complaint to Purina for me. I also bought a bale of alfalfa hay for the sick buns and didn't get new pellets until the new shipment came in.

I am really glad your buns are on the mend. Great job with the homemade pedialyte, and if you ever need to take any, the Parents Choice wal-mart brand tastes waaaaaaay better than the national brand. I like the Cherry better than the other flavors, too. LOL

Above all else, good for you on the cleaning! I have found that to be most important as far as herd health goes!

I'm not sure where the feed came from as I didn't buy it. I've switched back to my old feed although am using the knock-off brand of it atm as they were out. Everyone seems to be doing great. Thank you guys for the help and advice about possible cocci. I did treat all of them and clean everyone's cage with Ammonia as well as gave the bloated rabbits some mush food with karo in it. It's said to help them get everything moving, and I think it got whatever was affecting them out of their system. As long as everybunny is happy and healthy, I am!

Back