Holland Lop, 8 kits, concerned

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takemine77

Reaction score
My Holland Lop kindled on Sunday (12th) with 8 kits. They're all still alive, but there are definitely some chubby ones and a couple runty ones. I'm very concerned about the small ones. The doe only has 6 teats and with 8 babies to feed someone isn't going to get enough milk. What would you do? Just wait and see what happens? Try to hand feed the littlest ones? And what is the max number of kits you've had in a litter of Holland Lops? I wasn't expecting 8!

Welcome to RT! Sorry it's not on better terms...

I don't have HL's specifically but I have had does with large litters - some as high as 11. There are a number of people on here that can give some great advice on how to handle runty kits. You can pull the fatter ones out for a feeding or hand feed the smaller ones by holding the doe so they can have a better chance to get milk (either upside down in your lap, or just hold her still in the cage). I have had some that just failed to thrive, not sure what the deal was.

takemine77....

You can do a couple of things...
A. Let nature take its course and only the strong will survive.
B. Try supplementary feedings on mom. *Flip doe and place kits on moms belly - Some does will be too tense and not release milk. *remove larger kits from nest box, place nest box on lap and place mom over runts - Some does freak and just end up damaging kits or don't release milk.
C. even out feeding - take the larger kits away overnight and let the runts have a extra feeding over what the large ones did - deprives larger kits of a meal

I have used all three methods in different circumstances.
Often I loose the runts anyway, because there is "something wrong" with them.
Or the runts catch up and end up being the same size by 10 weeks.

What ever way you select, it will be the best one for you.
Use any one of these or combinations.... whatever feels best to you. (and what your doe will allow)

About B, for me it's easier to place a towel on my lap , kits between the legs, and put the doe on top - but watch out for the does hind legs if she struggles and slashes, I once lost a kit that way, but feeding is easier.

I prefer C, it doesn't hurt the big kits to miss a meal, but it's a big thing for the small ones to get a good one. Since mine feed at dusk and dawn I remove about 1/3 of the kits in the afternoon and put them back before I go to sleep, about 11pm.

Are you sure she only has 6 teats? I thought they had 8......anyway, I agree. What I would do is split them into two groups. Big and Small. And the large one only take to her for feedings once a day, and the small ones bring twice letting them nurse before the large ones. Keep a close eye on everyone but she should be able to do fine. Add parsley, calf manna, oats, and BOSS to increase milk supply. We had one that had 8 and she did ok with all of them. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back