Really wrinkly 5 day old kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
So one of my does had a litter of 7 Sunday afternoon, but she still doesn't have much milk for them. They're all getting really wrinkly from not having enough food. This is her second time around...first litter (5 kits) she had tons of milk so not sure what the problem is this time. I gave her some rolled oats and BOSS yesterday and am about to give her some more. I have two other does with 6 and 8 kits the same age, should I try adding a few of the unfed babies to their litters? Or should I trade out the unfed litter with one of the fed litters for a day? Like bring the litter of 8 inside and let their mom foster the 7 for the day. Hate to just not do anything and watch the babies starve.

Provided everyone is healthy, I would certainly put the wrinkled kits with the productive does, one tonight and the other tomorrow. It won't hurt the stronger kits to miss one meal.

There are things you can do for the doe beyond BOSS and oatmeal, if you want to look into herbal supplements. I've never done this myself, but I know a little about herbs and these are time-tested remedies for poor milk supply.

Fostering the kits onto the other does is also a viable alternative if they have lots of milk, but I'd let them get a couple of good feeds before they have to compete with stronger kits.

Here's an old thread on the subject of stimulating milk production. Unfortunately the link to twohunnys no longer works.
feeds-to-enhance-milk-production-t5090.html
Another good site for herbs for rabbits.
https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/0 ... r-rabbits/

You could also google herbs that increase lactation in rabbits. There's a ton of information, but I don't have time to sort through it.

Good luck with the kits! :clover: :clover: :clover:

Another thing you can google is just plain old "herbs that increase milk supply" You will get a bunch of human information but there are very few foods or herbs that humans can have and rabbits can't. If you have a question about any of the herbs listed just ask.

Also, putting the healthy kits to the doe with low production will help stimulate her milk production.

Here's hoping the wrinkly kits got enough colostrum!

MaggieJ":3mmmulop said:
Good for you, finding that, 2CrazyFools! Really appreciate you taking the time to retrieve it. :goodjob:

No problem! I always check the archives just in case when any websites are old and dead. I've noticed that more than 50% of the time it was saved at least once, some times multiple times over the years, which is really handy. That Hunnyz Herb info is a great website with lots of information, too bad the pictures that went along with the herb recommendations don't show up anymore. :(

I didn't end up moving any of the litters around because when I got out there the little guys had just been fed. :cheer1: :cheer2:
This morning the doe looked like she finally had all her milk in, but I'm still going to give her some of those herbs just to be sure. A lot of the ones that are on that list I already have on hand for medicinal purposes. Thanks for the suggestions and links!

I like parsley as its easy to find and pretty much anything green has estrogen which should help. I would feed a thumb sized tree two or three times a day for a few days.

Quick update on the undersized litter - I brought them inside today with another litter (same age) to compare size and they seem to have caught up just fine. Maybe a tiny bit smaller, but not by much. Will they end up being smaller as adults because they were underfed for a few days?
0313171327d_zpsjnefbyzi.jpg

Back