How to stop a predator???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SarniaTricia":1rrgzgd8 said:
Looks good Chad... and yes, I'd be gunning for animals acting like that!
They are making a pack and acting like wild dogs... that's a good excuse to "end" them!!!!

(although, I's want to still add a hot wire at cattle strength and wait to see them find it, then "end" them) - I'm a little bit vindictive ....

There is a part of me that wants that too.

No, you are not being vindictive, you are being practical. If those dogs are attacking your animals, they are attacking/harassing other animals. It is only a matter of time before it is a child or elderly person!!!

DO NOT FIRE A ROUND INTO THE GROUND either, all that will do is habituate the dogs to the sound of gun fire without any consequences! Gun control = shoot at what you aim at and aim at what you shoot at.

Shoot the dogs. You are doing a community service by removing out of control animals, especially if it is a pack. Dogs behave more aggressively in a pack than they do individually.

Kill those dangerous animals and be done with it!

I live in a small rural town and have an excellent relationship with local animal control. When the pit and cocker spaniel came through and slaughtered my growouts, I shot the cocker with my pellet gun (aimed behind the rib as it was going away, killed it) and I had to take the pit out with my shop hammer (2# head) as I didn't have time to reload the pellet gun when she turned on me. Took 6 hits, but I finally got one to the back of her head. It was a holiday weekend, but animal control came and picked them up for disposal.

He told me to quit dinking around with a pellet gun and get my conceal carry gun next time LOL Basically giving me permission to discharge a gun inside city limits! And he is still trying to buy that gun from me for his wife!!

Well another week and no dogs captured. The good news is the spottings have gone down a bit, but my back yard is a passage for them for sure.

I moved the trap to where the camera would pick it up better. I also took and placed hay in the bottom of the cage all the way to the back since I heard that it may be an issue for getting them in there. I have tried different baits. This week was chicken fingers and fries. I got a couple more cans of dog food as well. That was what caught the cat (that was safely released). :clap2: :clap:

Caught my neighbors dog on camera again. :dig-hole: I'm not going back down there to mention it. Although I will say he has been keeping it on a leash the last few times I have seen it. So that is a step in the right direction.

Neighbors dog here.

MFDC0913.JPG
MFDC0914.JPG

The next two shots are encouraging because the lattice seems to be working. You can also see that two of the pack got caught in the pictures.

MFDC1147.JPG
MFDC1148.JPG

By looking at these pictures it looks as if the trap your trying to use is to small. A dog won't go into something that is to small unless it has something irresistible to draw it in.

Sagebrush":19drk2m9 said:
By looking at these pictures it looks as if the trap your trying to use is to small. A dog won't go into something that is to small unless it has something irresistible to draw it in.

Sorry the trap you see in the last posted pics is not the right one. That is a raccoon trap. You can see the current one above in some of the older pics. I would say it is a good three foot tall. Sorry for the confusion there.

Chad
I would have lost my noodle by now.... It makes me crazy that those dogs are still out there .... and I am very very far from you!

Fence, Fence and Electric wire.....

I have to say you are a much more patient person than I am ....

SarniaTricia":k9ph877l said:
Chad
I would have lost my noodle by now.... It makes me crazy that those dogs are still out there .... and I am very very far from you!

Fence, Fence and Electric wire.....

I have to say you are a much more patient person than I am ....

I can't even begin to tell you have irritated this has all made me. The day I end it will be a great one. :dig-hole:

Realizing that everyone's situation is different (regarding town vs country living, proximity of neighbors, willingness to use forceful protection methods, etc), I won't offer advice, just a statement. Hubby and I live in the boonies so to speak, and if we begin having issues with predators, wild or otherwise, we'll get a pair of Pyrenees. I had some when living in Texas and never, ever had a problem. They would even dispatch snakes in the yard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your situation. I know how frustrating it can be.

DoodlebugMania":3bltkx6z said:
Realizing that everyone's situation is different (regarding town vs country living, proximity of neighbors, willingness to use forceful protection methods, etc), I won't offer advice, just a statement. Hubby and I live in the boonies so to speak, and if we begin having issues with predators, wild or otherwise, we'll get a pair of Pyrenees. I had some when living in Texas and never, ever had a problem. They would even dispatch snakes in the yard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your situation. I know how frustrating it can be.

That might be a good idea, but I don't want a dog. Although I do see the benefit. Not enough room to really have one where I am. Plus I don't want the same issues, since I don't have an area to fence one in.

I did catch a cat last night. Per protocol, it was released. Seemed pretty happy to get out of there too. lol

I put a fresh can of dog food in the trap. So maybe this evening I will get something.

I can understand that, different situations, etc. We are on 80 acres next to national forrest, so plenty of room for us.

I did read an article on diy repellent spray made from hot peppers and onions I think it was, but not sure how the smell would affect people, buns, etc.

DoodlebugMania":1f50uuvf said:
I can understand that, different situations, etc. We are on 80 acres next to national forrest, so plenty of room for us.

I did read an article on diy repellent spray made from hot peppers and onions I think it was, but not sure how the smell would affect people, buns, etc.

That isn't a bad idea. Any chance you have the link? I will search for it myself.

I read it on one of the chicken forums I was browsing after having issues with a few of my chickens. If you google DIY predator repellent, it should come up close to the top of the list, if not at the top. Sorry I don't have the direct link.

DoodlebugMania":2gkvc5wb said:
I read it on one of the chicken forums I was browsing after having issues with a few of my chickens. If you google DIY predator repellent, it should come up close to the top of the list, if not at the top. Sorry I don't have the direct link.

I found this and may consider it. I know heat peppers don't bother chickens as far consuming them goes, but I don't know about rabbits. Even if it wasn't in the cage. I don't want them breathing it either.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/769828/homemade-predator-repellant

That is the one I read. Not sure how or if it would affect the bunnies though. Can possibly be modified for your particular situation though.

It isn't overly nice, but I wonder if something similar to bear spikes might work? Hubby was watching some documentary on Alaska, and some of the people put spiked mats/boards out to keep bears off the porch.

DoodlebugMania":gguqpvy3 said:
That is the one I read. Not sure how or if it would affect the bunnies though. Can possibly be modified for your particular situation though.

It isn't overly nice, but I wonder if something similar to bear spikes might work? Hubby was watching some documentary on Alaska, and some of the people put spiked mats/boards out to keep bears off the porch.

Those will go over great with the two year old. lol My wife would kill me. My luck it would be me that stepped on them.

Well I finally have a good update. Got home last night to find the trap had worked. I got one of the dogs that has been traveling in the pack. I didn't check the game camera to see if the other dogs were around the cage when he was trapped. It was really cold and he was shivering so I went ahead and ended things quickly. He was the dog seen in the last pictures in the distance. There were no tags or collar. He had destroyed the rabbit toy in the cage.

I have no issues killing when it is for food, but this is the first time I have had to take out an animal myself that was causing harm. Never easy.

I think the hay in the bottom was a real help. I set the trap back up and hoping to have more soon. Ready to be done with this situation.

Trapped.JPG

Latest posts

Back