Why a blonde should not be processing rabbits unsupervised

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
So I was culling a couple of my rabbits this afternoon and had just cut the head off the dead rabbit and set it in a stainless steel bowl. I then carefully set the borrowed fillet knife I was using across the top of the bowl so it wouldn't get dirty and turned around to rinse the carcass off. While I was rinsing it, I began to smell burnt popcorn...I thought it was kinda weird but kept working. The smell got stronger. I turned around to find that the sun was reflecting off the knife and the rabbit head had caught on fire. There was a thin wisp of smoke curling up from the bowl. Sometimes I think my life is just one long blonde moment... :slap:
Burn_zpsfizovarj.jpg

Wow! I'm actually kind of impressed that the knife reflected the sun so strongly! :shock:

Although I can just about imagine it, since my mother's kitchen window makes the area directly in front of it at least 10 degrees warmer than anywhere else in the house... so combine that with the reflective powers of your knife, and yup... recipe for crispy surprises!
:lol:

The picture is just fascinating me. Dare I call it beautiful? Yes, yes I think I dare. :oops:

Nymphadora":2cgvy8ps said:
Wow! I'm actually kind of impressed that the knife reflected the sun so strongly! :shock:

Although I can just about imagine it, since my mother's kitchen window makes the area directly in front of it at least 10 degrees warmer than anywhere else in the house... so combine that with the reflective powers of your knife, and yup... recipe for crispy surprises!
:lol:

The picture is just fascinating me. Dare I call it beautiful? Yes, yes I think I dare. :oops:

:yeahthat:

I don't think anyone could see the possibility for that. Very few things can reflect that well. In fact someone tried to bring a magnifying glass to the desert in one of those survival challenges and could not get it to do anything on any material at any time of day for any length of time spent waiting. Generally you just can't focus the light that much. I'd consider it a very freak accident that the sun hit it just right and that particular knife could do that.

I can't imagine a knive focusing that well. It would need a concave shape, and be rather big.

A stainless steel bowl on the other hand - perfect.

I tried to start fire in many ways, and often succeded, using fire drills, sparks, magnifying glasses (easiest way), explosives, stretched plastic bags with water as lens (works), and so on. Also concave mirrors, very effective. But a knive, even with a concave cut imho wouldn't heat anything.

And even when it was the stainless steel bowl, that's really nothing one would expect. Makes you think about a decorative dried flower arrangement in a steel bowl on the windowsill for a little insurance fraud.... :twisted:

Preitler":3nlhyzit said:
I can't imagine a knive focusing that well. It would need a concave shape, and be rather big.

A stainless steel bowl on the other hand - perfect.
You're totally right...I just did it again WITHOUT the knife! My hand was still on it when it started smoking. And yes, it was an accident this time as well. Needless to say I've begun keeping the bowl in the shade. With all the wildfires we've been having lately I'd hate to be responsible for starting a new one...while butchering rabbits. Would be rather awkward trying to explain that one! :lol:

Back