Bring on the WEEDS!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a weirdo in my circle of friends (triangle? :roll: not too many close friends, sadly) and family as well. Our yard is mostly weeds and it makes me happy now that I have rabbits to feed :lol: . Our unseasonably warm temps (well, until this weekend, it might snow now!) has brought up a number of wild edibles - clover galore, dandelions (I had to break the kids heart and ask them to not pick ALL of the flowers for me... I had so few last year and I think that's why. I have spread a number of puff balls around already), plantain, chickweed, purple dead nettle, and attempting to ID a number of others to see if they are safe for consumption or not. Roses are leafing out as well. YAY! Hopefully my kale will take off here pretty soon. I planted it too late last year so I have been impatiently staring at 2" tall plants all winter :lol: They are slowly getting bigger...

Us too!! The neighbors always think I'm out in the front yard "weeding" because the weeds are taking over and we're too thrifty to pay someone to spray... I haven't told them I'm actually harvesting my "weed garden" for my rabbits... :D why would I want to poison it??? I use it! Chickweed, dandelion, fleabane, and that one spiked one I can't thing of the name... but the buns love it! Apparently not prickly enough for them to care. Unfortunately we don't have any clover in our yard, I tried to spread some last year and nothing sprouted :(

The weeds here are not quite growing yet, but the way this season is going, it won't be long. I no longer have rabbits (Due to mobility issues; I'm no spring chicken! :lol: )and it just about kills me to see all those luscious weeds going to waste. Not that they really do go to waste: Elsie the goose and our little band of hens make good use of them and I can look out the windows and see the cottontails gorging themselves too.

Here in the desert, we rarely get weeds (just bare rocks and sand), but when we do, they are little thorny ones, baby cactus or spindly-toxic looking things lol.

my yard is a breeding ground for milk thistle, dandelion, wild mustard, and CLOVER! i love it. my landlord probably doesn't enjoy it, but he doesn't spray weed killer in our yard like he does everyone else's, thankfully. we do mow and try to keep it under control though..by pulling up entire plants daily to toss into my rabbit cages lol. when we have our own place we plan to intentionally leave areas unmowed and plant giant ragweed to use as fodder for our bunnies and other livestock. oh the joys of owning your own property lol

Latest posts

Back