Is this true?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
I have been watching tons of you tube vids lately and all of them say to give your rabbit a cup of leafy green veggies per 2 pounds of body weight. Daily. Is this true? I have watched other people diet videos to see what they said and they said the same thing. What are your opinions on this? Is it true?

There is not "one truth". There are several, right and good ways to feed rabbits. From all greens to Pellets only, it very much depends on the rabbits, your goals and resources.

Be wary of every ultimate truth about diet, no matter what spieces concerned ;)

But in my opinion, feeding some different things reduces the risk of deficies, and makes them more easily adaptable to new/rare stuff. At least that works for my herd.

Preitler":3pk8ga7t said:
Be wary of every ultimate truth about diet, no matter what spieces concerned

Amen!

Alot will also depend on what your rabbits have been fed in past generations. Rabbits, will do better (most likely) on forage if past generations have adapted to a forage diet.

The "leafy greens" advice often comes from house rabbit people. They sometimes have concerns about their rabbits being overweight on an all-pellet diet. Unfortunately, people often interpret "leafy greens" to mean lettuce and cabbage. Iceberg lettuce is pretty much useless as rabbit feed and can cause digestive problems, especially if the rabbit is not accustomed to it. Leaf lettuce is better but it still does not have much food value. Cabbage is quite nutritious but can cause gas. It must be introduced gradually.

Garden greens have a place, but "leafy greens" would be better interpreted as "broad-leafed safe weeds." Not everyone has access to these or the knowledge to select them wisely. This is changing and I think RT has had a role in making information available.

All changes in diet should be made gradually. I have transitioned quite a few rabbits from pellets to natural feed and most manage the switch fairly well. In the next generation, where the kits have access to natural feed including lots of green leafy weeds from the beginning, I have never seen a problem.

See the Safe Plants for Rabbits sticky in the Natural Feeding forum for a starter list of safe plants. Use the Latin names to identify them before feeding; common names are often regional.

Thanks MaggieJ! I was just wondering. Olaf has been fine not having daily veggies so I think I'll just stick with his pellets and hay for awhile ( and don't forget some treats! :D :lol: :p ). It's cheaper!

I over heard a very respected breeder tell a H4er at a show:
"The important thing about your feed is that you are consistent."

That being said, using a balanced feed is also important.....
But it stuck with me to not keep switching around for the "best", because the "best" isn't the same for every rabbit.... (what they are raised on is)

Latest posts

Back