First time mom had stretched kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So, my first timer doe just kindled a litter of 6, but 4 were dead. It looked like they were stretched pretty bad. The doe is fine. Her two remaining kits are quite small, but active. They are still quite wrinkly, but the doe did go in to nurse them earlier, I think they were just stuck under the dead kits(they were quite far back) and so might not have had a good feeding.
Even though they are small, they otherwise look normal. Is there anything else I should do for them? I'll check on them tonight and if they are still thin I will put them on mom.

my main question... The doe doesn't have pinched hips, so I know that isn't what caused the trouble. So I'm wondering if it was her age. She just turned 1 year old a few days ago. I would have bred her earlier but my herd sire had died and I had to wait for the other buck to get old enough. If it was age, does that mean that future breedings would be dangerous, or would this have widened her enough?

My guess would be that she had accumulated body fat. In rabbits, just like in humans, excess fat can cause large babies. If you bred her back within 8 weeks or so, you will most likely get better results as raising kits reduces the stored fat (most of the time).

Thanks! That would explain it. I am planning on breeding her relatively soon(after about 8 weeks) so that should help.
She is passing a bit of blood. I felt her abdomen so I know she doesn't have kits left. Should I be concerned? It's just a little puddle.

Latest posts

Back