My polydactyl rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
This is Fiver. She's polydactyl - having a single extra toe!
Her mother was a Champagne d'Argent, father is a French Angora. So much for inbreeding being the source of deformities, huh? :p

Believe it or not, she's not named after the Watership Down character. She’s actually named after Ford Pines from the cartoon Gravity Falls, who’s called “Sixer” for having extra fingers. And I’m uber creative, so I called her Fiver for having that extra fifth toe. :B

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0030.jpgfiver.jpgIMG_5844.jpgIMG_4726.jpg

Still wondering...aside from Fiver, has anyone heard of any other polydactyl rabbits? It seems awful common in cats, but pairing her back to her brother two or three times (just chow babies) has yet to throw more of polydactyl bunnies. She was just paired to a son today, so we'll see what I get it in a month maybe. :?

I heard of it once, from a first gen satin x something cross... Whatever the "something" was, it was another purebred (a 4-Her's rabbit), but I don't remember what it was, or any other details. In theory, polydactyl is usually a dominant gene (in most species where polydactyl is a common occurrence) so it would make sense that inbreeding wouldn't make it come out more. Interesting.

My cat Gibby has double thumbs on both front paws. makes him look like a dang lion with the big old feet lol.
I didnt have any extra toes show up in the guinea pigs I used to have. Never had it in any rabbits. Interesting. Are you thinking of breeding her at all to see if she passes it on?

ohiogoatgirl":2tato1ev said:
My cat Gibby has double thumbs on both front paws. makes him look like a dang lion with the big old feet lol.
I didnt have any extra toes show up in the guinea pigs I used to have. Never had it in any rabbits. Interesting. Are you thinking of breeding her at all to see if she passes it on?
I had a black tom like that, and when he went missing, I nearly adopted his lookalike from the pound. Seems pretty normal in cats. More to love. :p
She's been paired twice to her brother, and was just paired to her son from one of those pairings. None of the offspring leave, but they've all seemed healthy enough, so even if morally I probably shouldn't be breeding her...welp. :popcorn:

Neat

Ive never heard of it in rabbits but in humans, dogs and cats it's a dominant trait so your bunny might just be a random mutation and not hereditary, or possibly a new recessive version

Latest posts

Back