My Doe Lost her kits at 6 days old, what do i do now?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BalletRabbitry

Reaction score
This is this Does second litter, she is almost 2 years old. Her kits were born last friday and seemed to be doing well. The weather has been in the 40's to 60's and last night dropped down to 20 degrees. This morning when I went to check, the kits were all spread out in the nest box and stiff. did it just get too cold? Is something wrong with my doe? I noticed her scratching at the floor a bit and chewing on fur and nesting material for the last day or two but I assumed she was just keeping the nest clean. Could something be wrong with her? What should I do to keep her healthy? And did I loose the kits due to the low temp or could there be more to this?

Could you have a rat prowling under your hutch? If she was nursing and then was scared out of the nestbox, and the youngesters didn't huddle together for warmth.... IDK. Chewing on the nesting material--was she getting unlimited food to eat? I know of a couple does who ate their nestbox material and lost the babies to the cold because they were hungry.

"Spread out in the box and stiff" is sometimes seen after a doe decides to sleep in the nest box, which may have happened when the temps dropped. Either she smothers them, or else her presence simply prevents them from huddling together under fur for warmth.

If she lost her litter I'd feed her a sprig of mint for a few days to dry up her milk and prevent mastitis.
After a little rest she could be rebred.

Sorry about your loss, but this is why I bring the nest box inside at night. I know something is bothering my rabbits at night recently as some cages are knocked all cattywampus in the mornings. I really need a new dog!!!

As for rebreeding, go ahead and do it now. She will be ready and it will also help dry up her milk.

AnnClaire":2wl2eqdp said:
...this is why I bring the nest box inside at night.
:yeahthat: Certainly helps ME sleep better at night knowing they are warm and cuddled up in my closet.... lol.

So sorry about your loss Ballet :( Sometimes these things just happen. *big hug*

Some does will continue to rearrange the nestbox even after they kindle, or continue to try and cleanup. This could be the reason she was chewing on the material, or its possible she's bored or not getting enough nutrients. I would go ahead and rebreed. You could not have for seen this happen and it sounds like she will be ready again, so sorry!

Latest posts

Back