dewlap in a male?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
Ok maybe I am wrong but I thought males didn't have dewlaps? A friend of a friend posted on face book that they are looking to rehome their male lop rabbit because he has cage aggression, he is fine once you get him out but when you stick your hand in it he lunges and growls.

No, I am not looking to get this rabbit, but the picture they posted was of a chinchilla colored rabbit with a large dewlap. So I thought I would be helpful and say their male is more than likely a female based on the dewlap. Of course she responds that he is a French lop (I doubt that, he was a rural king rabbit and more than likely my mini's littermate.) and that most male rabbits have dewlaps especially in lops, that you have to flip them to see what the sex is.

Without going to her house and double checking the sex I guess I will never know. Anyways aggression is a no go for me anyways let alone the fact I don't need a doe.

None of my boys have them, my guess is "false advertising", lol-or actually that they are unaware they actually have a female.

bucks can get dewlaps if they are very overweight, but mooooore than likely their rabbit is a doe and they don't know how to sex it themselves. someone might have missexed it as a kit, and they just rolled with it since they were never taught how. that or the sex change fairy strikes again :p

I didn't think I was wrong about the dewlaps, I guess if it is a buck he could be overweight. When she told me most males have dewlaps I figure she doesn't know what she is talking about :lol:

None of my boys have them, my guess is "false advertising", lol-or actually that they are unaware they actually have a female.

If it actually is a French lop, that wouldn't surprise me for a male to have a dewlap. They're a big, loose skinned breed, and even the males may have some extra skin

Rex bucks often have dewlaps. sometimes it's a breed thing, not always a gender thing.

It could be overweight. But I really doubt its a French lop, She got it around the same time I got mine and at the same store. Heck her rabbit has a bigger dewlap than mine and I know for sure mine is a doe. Here is a picture of the rabbit

Attachments

• bunny.jpg
    bunny.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,337
If I were a betting person I would feel really confident betting a good amount of money that the rabbit pictured isn't a male, lol. That's one heck of a dewlap!

2CrazyFools":3qyalefy said:
If I were a betting person I would feel really confident betting a good amount of money that the rabbit pictured isn't a male, lol. That's one heck of a dewlap!
Lol is it really betting if it's already been confirmed that the pictured rabbit is a doe? :lol:

That's JessicaR's rabbit, not the "unidentified male/female", but if the unidentified's dewlap is bigger than that... well I suppose it could be overweight or genetic, but I'd say double check the parts! :p

*update* upon reading JessicaR's post again... I'm not sure who's rabbit it is after all! The first time I read it, I was under the impression it was her bunny... but now I'm not so sure! :lol:
So never mind me! :oops:

That picture is of the "male" smokie. My doe doesn't even have a dewlap that big :lol:

Only one rabbit have I ever saw with a dewlap that big and you better believe it was not a buck. Although said bun looks a bit overweight which is probably contributing to the huge dewlap.. I highly doubt it's a buck. Remember most people think male reproductive organs are the only ones able to come out from your body, the females tend to be inside. Making it super easy to count every doe and buck as a buck and not know better until balls have dropped. At this point I'd ask your friend if her bunny has testicles. That's a sure fire way to find out lol

Latest posts

Back