what color are these new zealands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletonlee

Reaction score
these are new zealand white and red crossed. the sire is a rew white and the dames to both litters are mother and daughter reds. i was wondering what you would consider these colors. pretty sure the brown ones are a chestnut but are the other blacks or dark steels?

Attachments

• rabbits 2.jpg
    rabbits 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 790
  • rabbits.jpg
    rabbits.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 789
Yep, sounds like you called it. The brownish ones with the white inside the ears are chestnuts. Pretty sure the one in the upper left of the bottom pic is a steel. The other dark ones could be either black or dark steel.

Thank you I am pretty new to rabbits so was really lost with these colors and how I got them. Been doing a lot of research. They are meat rabbits so color isn't a big deal but they are growing like crazy.

I bred my rew buck to my rew doe and her kits turn 4 weeks old tomorrow she only had 5 and they are all over 1.5lbs already.

Steels have the dark ear interior also. Non steel carriers have the white. Your REW is the steel carrier since NZRs can't carry steel and still be red. If you kept a non steel chestnut doeling and bred her back to a Red, then you'd start getting Reds in the nest again.

They're awfully cute, no matter what color they are!!

Back