WTHeck - a butterfly???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a white one fly by our basement window today. Flowers blooming, fruit trees/bushes blooming... crazy! Just read a news article about a strawberry farmer that pulled back their row covers to not just find blossoms but ripe strawberries!! A good 6-8 weeks (+!!!) early! Normally strawberry season is May/June. One lady told me her grandson had a tick attached to his arm already. I am sooooo dreading summer :cry:

Both our goats are finally pregnant! As well as our dog is pregnant! I'm hoping I don't fall to the same fate but instead push the responsibility of motherhood onto my two virgin does. I have been seeing daffodils popping up through the hard ground and was amazed. Went outside this morning to hear the birds singing. Oh the beautiful sounds of spring, funny they said we were supposed to have another 6 weeks of winter weren't we? I think they were wrong XP

Just pulled a tick off the puppy's head. She wants to know what this weird procedure was. It made her head itch and she had to sit still when she wanted to shred a paper bag. Time to break out the revolution but the next 2 weeks are actually supposed to drop back down below freezing after our week of 60-70F.

Our Jenny :catmoon: found a nice juvenile eastern milksnake in our livingroom yesterday afternoon. Seems they're coming out of hibernation early--two months early! They like our very old cellar for winter quarters, and they often find their way up to the main floor in spring. This one must have been two or three years old; it was about 18 inches long and just beginning to develop some decent girth. Pretty!

Your's are out already? I've been waiting on some snakes in certain areas to come out of hibernation for collection and ID but we went back to below freezing so I assumed it would be another month. I want to hit the areas as they are very active hunting prey to make up for the break and then breeding. The bigger species isn't so bad but the small ones get into the thick grass and low bushes to sit in ambush of prey and it's a lost cause. Then the fields get planted so they have more safe terrain and SOL for catching them.

I doubt our snakes are out in force yet. But somebody has to be first, I guess. It was a mild sunny afternoon when we deported it and Brian was careful to place it where there was lots of stuff to crawl under. I hope it does okay because our temperatures dropped last night and it won't warm up much for another few days.

ODS almost stepped on a small snake of some sort the other day... less than a foot long. DH isn't a fan of them so I doubt he got close enough to get a good look at it :lol:

Our oracle clump of snowdrops is up and just beginning to show the white of the flowers. Earliest I've known them to bloom. Until this year, 2002 had the record with a March 16 bloom date and often they don't bloom until near the end of March. Amazingly early! Wiarton Willy (Ontario's Official Groundhog) seems to have called it right this time.

Latest posts

Back