Might be gettng a rex trio!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to be selling some cages and possibly a couple rabbits to a friend - fine time to buy some new ones, right?? :roll: I haven't purchased a new rabbit in well over a year, but have been eyeing the harlequin/tri rex since I first got started in rabbits. I am already planning on replacing the floors in my hutches, and have tiles in all of them already. I know sore hocks are a known issue in the rex breed. Going to go off and do some more research for anything else I might need to know! Any input would be appreciated!

Just buy good footed rabbits. Rex with genetic bad hocks will eventually get hock sores no matter what flooring they are on.

They are a beautiful breed of rabbit.... but I love the tris as well...
I am a bit bias, as my very close friend breeds exactly that!!

All I can say is make sure the TYPE is on point... pay the extra for good quality stock. (and if you are buying from Sib, she will make sure your breeding stock will be complimentary and a good starting stock!)

i have my rexes on wire and just covered about half of the cage in resting mats and i haven't had any problems with sore hocks. one doe gave herself a sore from running circles around a buck during a breeding session, but it healed up and calloused and is fine now. other than that though they're about the same care as any other rabbit...just don't brush them ;p

shazza":21d2hlkm said:
just don't brush them ;p

Why not?
Not that i do a great deal of grooming to anyone here, but I've never heard anyone say not to brush. Especially if you show, at some point, it happens.

brushing can damage the hairs of the fur and cause it to be a poor texture. just scruffing them to lift them or grab them from the back of a cage will cause a ring of damaged fur on the shoulders/back that you can see. i've seen a judge point it out at a show once, though he didn't deduct for it i don't think. because the fur is so short and plush though they don't need to be brushed, really, but it also makes it a bit delicate. i've never seen any of mine 'shed' like my other rabbits do - the only reason i know they're moulting is i can see the line of new fur on them. outside of wiping off pee spots, they shouldn't require grooming, even for a show.

shazza":2c6hysn1 said:
brushing can damage the hairs of the fur and cause it to be a poor texture. just scruffing them to lift them or grab them from the back of a cage will cause a ring of damaged fur on the shoulders/back that you can see. i've seen a judge point it out at a show once, though he didn't deduct for it i don't think. because the fur is so short and plush though they don't need to be brushed, really, but it also makes it a bit delicate. i've never seen any of mine 'shed' like my other rabbits do - the only reason i know they're moulting is i can see the line of new fur on them. outside of wiping off pee spots, they shouldn't require grooming, even for a show.

I can't say I've ever had that problem. Maybe the rabbits in question have fur too soft for the breed. That goes hand and hand with sore hocks. If ones getting sore hocks, and fur that is damages by maintenance brushing, there needs to be a change in breeding.

Daily grooming isn't necessary for any well breed rabbit, I don't even brush the angoras daily, but if I'm showing, not only do I brush Rex, but recently breeders I know have been using pumice stones to go over the coat. Show grooming is dependent on the rabbit and the environment. If one keeps their rabbits on bedding, on boards, or sometimes if they are in a molt, bucks that spray, stains on white rabbits, it's necessary to clean up those places prior to placing on the table. I would.

Brushing really isn't needed for the rex....
At shows we just run a pumise stone over the rabbits to remove any loose hair... and it might get a babywipe to remove pee stains..
I know a breeder that lightly spritzs her rabbits with a bit of Listerine mouth wash and water.... then gently smooths them... but they don't need a lot of any kinda maintenance that way.

Some like to use the Pumise regularly to remove loose dead hair so the rabbit doesn't eat a lot of it during moult.... but just keep up with the Nails, give them a resting mat and toys and they are good.

Back