The things we do for our rabbits...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have said a million times that I will no longer have house rabbits. They're just so much easier and cleaner outside.

That being said my favorite buck Sage who was my first Angora and the rabbit who started this whole crazy breeding for wool mess is getting older. 5 isn't old for a rabbit typically, but he had a rough start from a breeder who didn't quite know how to give angoras what they really need nutrition wise. No rabbit I've known from her Rabbitry has made it past 4 years old, so Sage is practically ancient by those standards. (I and a friend bought out the last of her stock, and our of 8 rabbits only Sage and his sister remain) Sage has been very lethargic and stopped eating the last two days and I feared the worst. I stuck him in one of my oversized carriers and brought him home from the barn and inside so he could at least pass at home in the warmth, and he immediately perked up and started hopping around the carrier and eating. It seems that he just doesn't handle the cold very well anymore.

Guess who just ordered a a 40"x24" indoor cage...

:groooan:

I just keep reminding myself that I love my rabbits.

I get it. I recently brought a favorite buck inside as a house pet. He is 7 going on 8 this summer and has gotten really skinny and lethargic being outside this winter. He is currently in an X-large dog crate and seems happy.

I'm glad he's perked up, that's awesome.

I currently have three that were trying to get back on the food train, and it appears the more interaction, the less stressed out they are. We thought it would be opposite, but, I'm glad they're proving is wrong. Whatever it takes to get them going again.

I've got Mucky babysitting a couple junior Harlis I picked up from a show. 99% sure the doeling was only about 6 weeks old, so I didn't want to put her out in the cold. .

Oh no Homer, I always knew I had a problem, you were just the excuse when I had to explain it to Hubby. :lol: Luckily he's given up. Actually, he encouraged this latest development.

I'm glad to hear so many people chime in. I'm not the only one who can't keep their rabbit addiction outside. It does make me feel better about breaking my resolve. I think the worst part is that since Sage has to come inside, I'm already planning which Jr's to keep my eye on to take his outdoor cage space.

And Sixgun, I feel your pain. The black Satin Angora Buck I got at the Loveland show is on and off with his feed. I keep reminding myself they're like 4 to 5 pounds smaller than my French lines and they won't eat as much, but some days he won't eat at all. Drives me nuts.

PSFAngoras":166xi65j said:
And Sixgun, I feel your pain. The black Satin Angora Buck I got at the Loveland show is on and off with his feed. I keep reminding myself they're like 4 to 5 pounds smaller than my French lines and they won't eat as much, but some days he won't eat at all. Drives me nuts.

What is up with that, seriously? I tell ya. You should see my living room today! I built all new condos for everyone, to better fit in the space I have (you know, so I can have more). And the bottom wire, which I didn't pay extra shipping on, because it said it would be here on Saturday (LIES) now says it will not be here until Tuesday, which means I have two 90" x 36" cages with everything done except... the bottoms. Makes them really useful space taker uppers. And I built them in the living room because my husband needs to learn to tell me no every once in a while (it was too cold for me this weekend outside).

I really loved that buck of yours. I am very hopeful to have a black pop up in a month or so. The predictor said 25% chance. Those have got to be good odds. It would be so very very awesome!

Rabbits are addictive. I started out with one, saying I would just have a pet. Then, I bought another "pet". Then, I bought a doe, so I could breed "occasionally". And now, I'm building new wire cages, have 7 rabbits, three pregnant, plans to breed 3-4 times a year with 4 of them, plans for a new project, plans to build more cages while I'm still building new ones..... I think I have a problem. :lol: I just love rabbits! 2 of the ones now are from when I was "just looking" in the pet shop. Another one is a cross I was "going to sell". Sigh.

We do get attached to our buns....
We are getting our first house rabbit this weekend... a Dwarf bunny... Cage has been set-up and ready for 3 weeks in my step-daughter's room..... lol...

Hoping this doesn't lead to another breed for the barn... there is officially NO space left!! :lol: (unless I rent more... lol)

I know how you feel. I was just going to stick to my French Angora and get that started again but when I needed another REW all I could find were Satin Angoras. Then I had to at least complete that trio.

Now I'm totally lost on who's getting Sage's old cage. I want to keep a French buck replacement for him when he does pass, but now I have these dang Satins. And I know I'll have to pick between the breeds eventually, but what to base the choice on?!?! My French are larger for meat and produce more fiber, but my Satins are much higher quality rabbits for showing and kit sales. Oh, what to do next?!?

I think the correct answer is to move and build a barn, but we're still 2-3 years from that happening.

PSFAngoras":mex8m4jp said:
I know how you feel. I was just going to stick to my French Angora and get that started again but when I needed another REW all I could find were Satin Angoras. Then I had to at least complete that trio.

Now I'm totally lost on who's getting Sage's old cage. I want to keep a French buck replacement for him when he does pass, but now I have these dang Satins. And I know I'll have to pick between the breeds eventually, but what to base the choice on?!?! My French are larger for meat and produce more fiber, but my Satins are much higher quality rabbits for showing and kit sales. Oh, what to do next?!?

I think the correct answer is to move and build a barn, but we're still 2-3 years from that happening.

That's why I'm trying so hard to not add Satins....

I would be a terrible enabler if I suggested that April 1st you check with me and see what bucks I had born. I'm expecting everything from black, blue, chocolate, torts, REWs and chins. Grand Champion parents on four of those litters. Me = Enabler

I will have to do that. Out of the kits I was looking at there is only one showable one, and that's only based on color, not on build. I was more or less looking at wool for the Etsy store. My nicer French are still too young to breed and even those are still weak in the shoulders, though size wise they're monsters and their coats are nice.

I put it up on RT when I re-opened it a few months ago, here's the link:

finally-re-opened-my-etsy-shop-t31167.html

I'm currently trying to build a picker so I can better process other types of wool, and once thats done I'll be working on drop spindles for the shop too. Just takes some time to get everything going.

I'm excited for your litters too! I would happily take something in the blue/black/REW/chin range that has a good build. I like the new French but compared to my Satins the build just isn't there. I need some beefy shoulders!!

PSFAngoras":11bbls41 said:

My solution was to find a barn that rents space and set up there.... then you can have as many as that space allows!

I have the rabbits at my mom's hay barn for the moment, but that's only because we're not allowed to have rabbits in city limits and we are having our roof redone and putting a back fence up, and the city inspectors are around for that. The rabbits are coming back home after all of it is done. I just don't have the time to drive somewhere else, do the cleaning and grooming, and still be able to spend quality time with them. Poor things are starved for attention up there. Or if I manage to spend extra time with them I don't have time to take care of things at home. Plus she doesn't have anywhere I can let them out of the cage to run, and for me that just doesn't work. I'm greatful for having somewhere to put them for now, but I need them home.

We will be moving anyway, we only have a 10th of an acre and no garage for hubby to work in, and I've maxed out what I can have on livestock and gardens here, so we need a bigger piece of land. Not to mention we live in a very crappy neighborhood and we're about 90% certain our neighbors across the street are dealing drugs, though we have no proof. All we have left is our fence, the kitchen, and some ceiling repairs and we can start saving up for a piece of land. I can wait a couple years for more rabbits.

Back