'Walking Dandruff'?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My NZR buck has super thick dandruff all along his shoulders and down his spine, deep into his coat. It's almost chunky in appearance. It developed after his junior coat molted and it varies depending on the time of year. The judge who looked at him this weekend called it 'walking danduff'. (She also found a small abcess on his package, which wasn't there earlier this week when I checked him over prior to showing.) I don't think the two are related, but where the dandruff is, his hair sometimess will come out in large chunks right down to the skin.

He gets a 16% pellet, plenty of hay, has a pink salt block. I've been feeding him oats the last few months as a winter treat. None of the other rabbits have this dandruff.

What can I do?

If it varies according to times, my thought is maybe allergies?
Otherwise, maybe treat for mites just in case. Weird if it varies though. And that none of the others have it.

Fur mites. Not good. Very contagious and can survive in the environment for awhile. Likely all rabbits will need treated since they don't always show symptoms if they are not as susceptible to the mite but still have it and they should not go to shows. Even more fun some species can spread to other animals and humans. http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_disea ... r_mite.htm

Latest posts

Back