Baby rabbit with syphilis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's over! Everyone has gone through a week of injections, and I've deep cleaned all the cages and components! I had initially planned to do a rabbit at a time, but I have multiple quarantine cages and figured, why not do two? So first week I did the three kits, second week I did Clover and D'artagnan, and yesterday was the end of injections for my last two, Hodor and Cersei. Hodor is feeling a little thin so I added black oil sunflower seeds to his feed.

Everyone is back in their own nice clean cages and I've got some happy bunnies. Cersei practically threw herself on top of her hidey-hole box with a sigh of relief. "Home sweet home..."

I modified the boy's boxes (reduced the tops of their boxes) and it actually made the whole space feel bigger. The boys didn't complain about it, instead they bounced all over enjoying the double levels again. The top did extend the whole 2 feet span on the back, but Hodor would poo and pee on the top corner and it would run onto the box in the next pen and just made a nasty mess, this way we if he wants to do that it'll just run onto the floor and into the catch bucket.

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.54.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.57.52 PM.png

Anyhow, happy rabbits and a happy owner to be done with this mess, lol. Now to pull out the quarantine cages and clean those from top to bottom. At least that can wait until I'm good and ready!

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you 2crazy, but got caught up with some spinning projects, one of which left me with a hand dyed red LOL

As for photos, well, I'll have to get some new ones! I just realized the last photos I have are from when I was building the hutches!

Glad to hear everyone is through the shots! Hopefully this will have knocked it out!

Nice boxes and good idea on the mod ... but they are gonna pee/poop wherever you *don't* want them to! LOL

Love, love ,love the photo with her head down ... Looks like she's "on" something!

As for your buns not eating the hay from the hay racks, I notice you are using 1" x 1" mesh rather than the 1" x 2" that I use and wonder if that might have something to do with it? You might try trimming one crossbar from one hayrack space to see if that might get them to using them? I also notice that your hay racks are above the j-feeder whereas I hang mine on the side of the cage away from the j-feeder and lower down.

For breeding the doe that might have had a miscarriage, I would suggest you wait the withdrawal time, then breed? So far, I have only needed to dose with a med with a withdrawal time and it happened in the summer when I was not breeding, so didn't actually come into play.

I'll see about getting some photos tomorrow, or maybe Saturday when my girls come to help with spring cleanup :D

Yay! That's good news. VD can cause the aborting of kits and infertility too...I completely forgot until reading back over the post and catching the doe possibly aborting. With all clear, should see more kids IF that was the problem causing issues. To happy healthy buns n babies :)

Quick Question for 2CrazyFools.....

Do you have "hiddy boxes" for all the rabbits?
(they look nest boxes with roofs)

Also, I'm starting today on a massive rabbitry cleanout..... all the cages come out and get scrubbed clean and returned to place..... (coccidiosis I think, so that is what I am treating everyone for)

AnnClaire":2hb87bni said:
Nice boxes and good idea on the mod ... but they are gonna pee/poop wherever you *don't* want them to! LOL

Right? It's like they try to find the spot I don't want them making messy, "Ah, yes, this will work PERFECTLY." However I think this worked out! See, previously when the tops of the boxes were 1'x2' across the span of the back Hodor's waste would not only go into the next-door pen, it would also slide out the back and completely miss the bucket for catching such deposits. This morning I checked and all waste made it into the bucket! None on the ground outside of his pen! That takes care of one extra step when dumping manure, no more needing to rake it off the floor and shovel into the bucket for transport. :up:

As for your buns not eating the hay from the hay racks, I notice you are using 1" x 1" mesh rather than the 1" x 2" that I use and wonder if that might have something to do with it? You might try trimming one crossbar from one hayrack space to see if that might get them to using them? I also notice that your hay racks are above the j-feeder whereas I hang mine on the side of the cage away from the j-feeder and lower down.

I actually added the hay feeders back to everyone's pens yesterday and this time put them INSIDE the pens versus outside, and lowered them down next to the feed. I figured once they get used to it down there I may eventually pull it back up above the feeders to reduce waste but so far this is working! I saw Jeri pulling hay from it not long after I re-installed them even though she has plenty of hay in her hidey-hole, and then later D'artagnan. So I'm going to leave them there for awhile and stop filling the hidey-holes with hay so they are forced to check it out and utilize it if they wish. If they still don't seem interested I may go ahead and take your suggestion about the holes and increase the size. Thanks AnnClaire!

For breeding the doe that might have had a miscarriage, I would suggest you wait the withdrawal time, then breed? So far, I have only needed to dose with a med with a withdrawal time and it happened in the summer when I was not breeding, so didn't actually come into play.
What is the withdrawal time? I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything for rabbits, lots for cattle and swine though.

Prisma":2hb87bni said:
Yay! That's good news. VD can cause the aborting of kits and infertility too...I completely forgot until reading back over the post and catching the doe possibly aborting. With all clear, should see more kids IF that was the problem causing issues. To happy healthy buns n babies :)
Here's to hoping!! :D

SarniaTricia":2hb87bni said:
Do you have "hiddy boxes" for all the rabbits?
(they look nest boxes with roofs)

Yes, the does have 2'x1' and the bucks have 1'x1'. I like having the tops to increase surface area of the pens, and it's nice to lounge on to get off the wire. The bottoms are all open (I started with a few with closed bottoms but have since modified that idea) and once the does are getting close to kindle I put a hock-saver / EZ-mat / (dollar tree sink drain mat) under the box before adding straw/hay to help with excess hay loss but still allow breathability and drainage. Since the mats are 1'x1' I'll put two for the does boxes. The boys boxes don't really need anything like that since they aren't kindling in there, lol. In the pictures they have the kitchen sink mat under the boxes with a little hay since at the time I hadn't installed the hay feeders inside yet. D'artagnan's is there now so his mat and hay is gone from the box, but Hodor doesn't have a hay feeder in yet so he's chewing on his bedding. I actually saw him laying half inside, half outside with his big belly getting bisected by the baby-scraper while chomping on hay :lol: Weirdo. The bucks boxes have the baby scraper just in case I have to use a box for a doe, and actually Jeri and her siblings were born in a 1'x1' buck-box. So that helped them not tumble out onto the wire prior to me taking them inside.

I like the boxes 100% of the time for their own sense of security, if a loud noise goes off or a cat comes prowling about they can race into their boxes and feel a little bit safer about life. Plus, Clover practically LIVES in her box, I hardly ever see her outside of it regardless of temperature... she bloody loves that thing, lol. (Old picture with bottom still attached)
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.10.40 AM.png

Hey, trading ideas is what this site is all about! Since you are hanging the hay racks inside, trimming out a crossbar from the hay rack won't leave a hole in your cage wall :)

As for withdrawal time on medications, my vet always used the cattle withdrawal time. You might want to ask your vet and see what they recommend. Of the three veterinarians in my rural town, only one will even treat rabbits! LOL

Back