Register

I s'pose it's high time I introduced myself and my herd.

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,435.00

Re: I s'pose it's high time I introduced myself and my herd.

Post Number:#16  Unread postby akane » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 am

Mine rides fine now since the other dogs went with sometimes and we hauled her around all over along with going hiking but her bouncing parts don't work right to get in the suv. :lol She can boing great for attempting to steal an extra treat while training but if she thinks about jumping she splats into the bumper. For the most part she doesn't have too many of the negatives of wolfdogs. She can get shy but I didn't want a dog that charged up to everyone and if people show their intent is to be nice to her she is fine. Obedience class was mostly just a bouncy puppy with an extra independent streak but I think as an adult without prior experience it would be quite different. We'd probably be one of those walled off by plastic fence panels because they can't handle other dogs yet. My akita was worse in her first obedience attempt. She spent the first 2 classes shaking against the back wall at 4 or 5 months old. Aiko can be quite bold when she feels secure and dogs were not allowed near each other for the most part so we just worked a little area in our corner and only had a few incidents. My health issues got in the way of attending every class including the last one but we got several badges for completing every task taught up to each point until the last class. I posted the damage of the first one that Aiko attempted to eat and I had to chase her down for it. When she gets something in her jaws you should seriously consider just writing it off as gone unless you have tasty food. Of course no amount of yelling works on a wolf hybrid or most spitz breeds. "Leave it" and "mine" usually work before the object is in her mouth if you are quick enough to claim it first and she gets the concept of trading a little too well. Sometimes she brings me things to trade for human food. I keep getting given soggy squeaky squirrel toys :lol She's too smart for her own good. We just put a latch on the sliding wood doors because she keeps breaking out of the room when I take a nap or something and harassing the chinchillas while eating random objects. (so far tampons do go through puppies that got into the bathroom trash) There are the little things that are just harder with a wolf hybrid. We did give up on the crate except when absolutely necessary because while I built that thing escape proof it sounds like you've caged a wild animal and she would not stop all night for months. Some will disagree but we even tried a citronella spraying antibark collar and she out stubborned the bark collar. It ran out of spray rapidly and everyone in the bedroom had their eyes stinging the rest of the night with the husky sneezing constantly while we had clean Aiko and give her lots of water. That collar stopped a grown, intact male akita and this little puppy slowly tested the level of noise it would take to set it off before making the decision that level was too low and she would just yell until the problem went away. There are things you can usually out think or out stubborn even the most primitive domestic breed of dog but can't be solved with Aiko except to compromise.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,564.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 am

LittleFluffyBunnies wrote:He weighs about 75 pounds right now. The vet said he should get about 85-100 full grown. We'll see. His dad was massive. And I did happen to pick the biggest puppy in the litter :? But he was the sweetest!
How much do your pups weigh?

I was thinking he was about Thor's size, Thor is about 73-76lbs depending on the day and how long since he's eaten. He was about 93lbs at one point.... :oops: But he was also a sausage roll... poor tube-dog. He's much happier now with all that excess weight off! Gaea's only 54lbs, maybe 56lbs soaking wet, lol. Sounds like you've got a big 'ol puppy on your hands! :D

LittleFluffyBunnies wrote:Where was Gaea from? You might have mentioned but I don't remember.

Some gentleman had her, to be honest from what he told me he purchased her sister and the breeder didn't want Gaea anymore so she got given to the gentleman with her sister. An unwanted puppy that didn't sell so she got shoved off on someone else. Then the sister got shot and Gaea lived out her next 5 years of life alone in that big pen. Always had food and water, but no companionship and no attention. The guy who owned her said she wouldn't let anyone pet her because, "She's a wolf and thats just how wolfs are." *Cue massive eye roll* She was literally just a lawn ornament, something "cool" to have on the land. "Yeah I've got a wolf!" But he knew she needed something more and when I inquired about her he said if I could catch her, I could take her. She lived in a half-acre pen so yeah, it took awhile! Totally worth it though.
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 10.04.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 10.04.53 AM.png (630.15 KiB) Viewed 291 times

LittleFluffyBunnies wrote:I love the action shots you get! They are really good. My action shots are always blurry but they still make me laugh :lol: I just get a kick out of the crazy faces and positions they do.

The faces! :P You're not kidding! I love all the wild wacky faces I get from these guys! Probably why I anthropomorphise them so often... my brain can't help from making up the silly things (I think) they are saying.

akane wrote:Some will disagree but we even tried a citronella spraying antibark collar and she out stubborned the bark collar. It ran out of spray rapidly and everyone in the bedroom had their eyes stinging the rest of the night with the husky sneezing constantly while we had clean Aiko and give her lots of water. That collar stopped a grown, intact male akita and this little puppy slowly tested the level of noise it would take to set it off before making the decision that level was too low and she would just yell until the problem went away. There are things you can usually out think or out stubborn even the most primitive domestic breed of dog but can't be solved with Aiko except to compromise.

We actually added a meaning to barks for my dogs and it worked really well for staying quite inside. To me a bark from one of my dogs meant, "I want to go outside really badly!" regardless of what it really meant. So if someone is at the front door and they bark I immediately get this happy voice and do something alone the lines of, "Oh my goodness! You want to go outside? Yeah! Woohoo! Lets go guys!" and promptly shove them outside. I'm sure from the start they thought, "God... she's an idiot. That's not what I meant at ALL... -_-" But they quickly caught on that I was stupid and couldn't determine what their barking really meant and so if they barked in the house for ANY REASON AT ALL I would just put them outside like it was the best thing in the world. So if they wanted to stay inside and play, or stay inside and eat, or stay inside and meet the visiter, or see who is knocking on the front door, they would need to not bark. Because barking meant to Mom, "outside." Because mom is a dingbat. :roll: All other forms of communication were allowed, such as whimpers, growls, chuffs, or the soft "aroos." I started this with my husband's 8 year old Doberman back in 2011, then with my new GSD puppy in 2012, then with my rescue Thor when he showed up in 2013, and with Gaea when we got her at the age of 5 years. It's worked beautifully on all of them. "Outside" was NEVER used as a punishment, just as the place I "thought" they wanted to go if they barked inside the house. Barking is for outside, not inside in my ear. :)

After this was fully established for awhile I started to allow a single bark for someone at the door to notify us, but if you bark twice (or more) it means you want to go outside.

Just a thought for you to try if you feel like it, I know it's worked on every dog I've tried including when we baby-sit my mother-in-law's dogs (weiner dog and a lab/pit mix) which is very funny because my mother in law doesn't have ... well trained dogs? Jumping on the counter, on the furniture, etc... but at my house? They stay off the furniture, stay out of the kitchen, they don't bark inside the house, etc... lol. Then they go home and rule the roost again. Probably complaining to my MIL, "She wouldn't even let us sleep on the couch! :cry_baby: "

You just have to be consistent. Regardless of weather. I know I have to sit down and meticulously clean off their muddy paws if it's wet and sloppy outside but they still get shoved out there if they bark inside the house, especially when first laying the ground rules. But man, does that little bit of initial work go a long way for a nice quite household. Plus, I don't have to worry about stinging eyes or smelly sprays in the house. :D
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

The following user would like to thank 2CrazyFools for this post
Nymphadora, olafthebunny

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,435.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby akane » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Most of the time they'd be thrilled to go outside and take hours before getting bored but I can't leave them outside unsupervised. Throwing them out to bark at 4am while we stay awake waiting for them for hours isn't really possible or effective. Aiko would be so happy if instead of staying in a crate, quiet all night we stuck her outside for hours in the middle of it. Yay, running time for awhile. She wants to come out and play, run, destroy things, bark at everyone..... We had to put a latch on the sliding doors because leaving her loose in the room at night she gets bored and wants to go wander the house destroying things. That means though we're all locked in the room with the hyper puppy and the other dogs say to shut up they are sleeping while she bounces around like a ping pong ball barking to try to get someone to play for an hour or 2 before giving it up. She just doesn't want her sleeping and quiet time decided for her. It worked for awhile to give her no choice but a small area through the door to potty, the water bucket, and no access to the dogs or bed. She'd look around, determine it was boring, and go back in her crate to sleep. It quit working and she started just complaining again within a few minutes.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Previous