Pretty babies w markings new to my herd

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So in this litter i have some babies that have markings i havent seen. Its almost like a tort but opposite? The broken one also has that opposite tort and a blaze which is the first to show up. Its just weird to see these new things in this litter.

I haven't added any new buns to my herd and this is even a repeat breeding. Mom is a broken chinchilla (sylvia) and dad is a black tort (tommy)

Are their names for this opposite tort looking pattern or is it just something that will shed out? Will the rabbit with the blaze be at a higher risk for MC? These lighter colors confuse me.. do you see creams? Fawns? Orange? Red?

Ty :)

That's normal, seen often on creams & oranges. I'd call it countershading, but I don't know what it's officially called. The one with blaze probably isn't more likely to get megacolon. none of them look like charlies, all are well over 10% markings.

Well all rabbits can get it, but the predisposition to mc from the spotting gene is usually only found in charlies, not brokens

The gene that turns regular agoutis like chestnut to reds and the related colors is the same one that turns self colors to tort so sometimes that tort type pattern comes out as they go through coat changes.

Beautiful kits!

If your interested in learning the color genetics, I just want to ad that Red, Orange, and Fawn, all stem from the same gene, so they're pretty much the same color as far as the genotype is concerned. (Agouti with 'ee' in the last locus) The Rufus factor determines how much red vs. tan they get, and whether they are red, orange, or fawn by how much 'Rufus' they have. Creams are 'ee' too, but they are usually dilute (dd) as well, which is the same locus responsible for making a black rabbit blue or a chocolate into a lilac. :)

Latest posts

Back