MAYBE ... 4 litters this week?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I did some breeding with a fairly young bucks.
Jan 8th and on.....

Buck 1 did an ok job.. at least one fall off per doe:

Forward 28 days....
I have an experienced doe that is CLEARLY prego... beautiful nest built with spiraling hay,, really a work of art!
Her daughter is housed right next to her... she does not look prego.. she is a proven doe... bread same day as mom Jan8... put her in again with Buck Jan 28, fall off..... just in case, I gave her a nest box... this morning it is clear she has built a nest. (could she be reacting to Mom's hormones?)
The other doe is also young first timer, but clearly prego and has yet to build a proper nest.. (new moms make me sooooo nurvious!

Buck 2, younger buck
He was enthusiastic, but never had, what I would call a fall off......
Red doe, has been placed with him a couple times a week since Jan8 to see if we could get a fall off.... nothing... but, Red Doe has a bit of a tummy, no obvious kickers?? She has a nest box just in case.
Young first time Silver; Wouldn't let the young buck even have a chance... no obvious baby buldge at all... no nest box provided (but I might stick one in tonight, just in case)

Now the waiting starts... UUUGGgggg ... this should fry my nerves as I have a first time mom and a cold barn... worried that kits will be born on the wire or fur won't be pulled... at least I have one very experienced doe that loves to have kits... she won't let me down and she is very ready to pop!

Cinderella without her big baby belly:
Cinderella.png

I have a doe, and i can never tell if she is preggers, yet she never fails to deliver kits.
Usually she has around 9 . Yhe only single time i could tell, she had 12.

UPDATE:
No popples yet... sorry...

Red doe has built a proper nest and is doing the mom thing.
Reduced appetite, laying on her side with now noticeable belly budge.
:happy2:

Checking in on the barn in a few hours...again.
(the due date is tomorrow... but I just can't help it....lol)

(the Silver was just playing in the box and pooping in there... box has been flipped so she can play on the shelf it makes.... she is getting a boyfriend visit when I breed the rest 20Feb... I'd rather have a bunch at the same time... in the event fostering is needed)

I can never wait either! We have been breeding for over a year now, and I keep waiting for it to be less exciting, but it just never is!

I have 4 litters does due 12th, 13th, and 14th. Two pedigreed rex and 2 mutts. Then I have 3 more doe at the end of the month.

It never gets old. This is my 3rd winter breeding and I'm just as excited as I was the first. Maybe more so since I'm finally getting pedigreed litters.

We have a litter in the box!!
Cinderella was right on time.... sometime last night, she had a litter (2 did not make it)
But that is at least 7 in the nest box.

At least 2 are chinchilla... the balance appear to be Magpie or broken

8Feb2017 - CinderellaXLenny.png

Thanks!!
Photos follow for sure!

I am headed to the barn in about an hour to see if the slackers (3 other does) have started to participate... :p

I am always excited and haven't missed placing a nest box yet... I keep track of birthdays pretty religiously, even with my meat line.

Funny you should ask Karen!
This morning Little Red Riding Hood has provided me with a nest box full... (Enough fur to make another rabbit!)
And (I think) 10 little kitts!!

10Feb2017 LRRHxTriHarder.png

Mom:
LRRH.png

Dad:
TriHarder.png

-- Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 am --

I was SOOOOOoooo wrong... Little Red Riding Hood had 12 live kits.

She produced 3 tris... One lightly marked, one booted, one has a bit more than 50% but not a booted...
There is a couple of Harlequin marked, a Broken Magpie (SPOTS!!), and a couple of Chinchilla coloured.

10Feb2017 - Whole litter-Red.png

10Feb2017 - View of nice marked kits.png <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 am -- <br /><br /> Cinderella gave me a nice litter of 8

8feb2017 - whole litter at 1 week.png

Ahh!! They are SO pretty!! Look at all those colors! :eek:

I love the names of your does, lol. Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella? How many are fairytale themed?

Prince Charming
Cinderella
Little Red Riding Hood
Fiona

They are the only ones that are fairy tale themed.... but I am sure there will be more....:)
I have Lenny and TriHarder
Platinum, Sheri, Kiki, Gigi, Ester, Dolly

Soon to be jointing us:
Dutchess and Starling
and a yet to be named buck..... HMmmmmm.... I would like a Fairy tale name...
Shrek, Humperdink, Aladin, Eric, Sabastian.....
Maybe I should start a thread to ask for imput.... I'll have names for a whole year!!

SarniaTricia":8pej0wev said:
Soon to be jointing us:
Dutchess and Starling
and a yet to be named buck..... HMmmmmm.... I would like a Fairy tale name...
Shrek, Humperdink, Aladin, Eric, Sabastian.....
Maybe I should start a thread to ask for imput.... I'll have names for a whole year!!

Humperdinck! Oh please, pretty please do Humperdinck! Or Inigo Montoya, if he’s a bit feisty. Or Fezzik if he’s huge. All the Princess Bride references, I love them! :lol:

Thought I would give an update on the two litters I got Feb8 and Feb10....

Cinderella X Lenny - 8Feb2017
Healthy cubby babies.... 3 are show marked Harlequins... depending on type, I might show these three..... and/or keep for breeding in a line that use meat mutts to make larger, better typed Harlequin.
8Feb2017 - Cinderella 2weeks.png

Little Red Riding Hood X TriHarder - 10Feb2017
She had 12 kits... three were a bit smaller and we have lost one who just couldn't keep up.
The other two smaller kits are struggling to compete, but I will let them keep trying.
Mom is getting a lot of superfoods to help her stay in condition with this many kits.
10Feb2017 - LRRH - 2 weeks.png

-- Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am --

Adding a side note:
The expected rabbits .... did not come to my barn.
One sneezed and that got me looking at all of them a bit better.... and well... lets just say, I'm going to be safe rather than sorry... I'll see her at show in a couple of weeks if the sneezes were just for dust.

And Gigi ended up being a Mr. G... so I have a great buck to use after all!!
Needless to say, everyone is bread again! <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 pm -- <br /><br /> Almost 4 Weeks old and TOO CUTE!

10Feb2017-LRRH - 4 weeks -1.png

10Feb2017-LRRH - 4 weeks -2.png

Considering Keeping... harlequin marked and tri marked.... I have a few months before I need to make a final decision.

I have obtained some more cage space...lol... so will have time to grow them out and make a choice later.

edited to add:
There is also a broken harlequin.. that means Dalmatian spots!!... choices, choices!!

Latest posts

Back