My upcoming rabbit projects

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
First, new cages!!! my dad is helping me to build new cages for my herd. We have one done so far. They are properly sized, galvanized wire with babysaver on the doe cages. This is the first proper cage I've had and it's wonderful. It is 6 feet long, divided into three sections, each 2 by 2 feet. The rabbits love it. My dad will be building another one for the other rabbits soon. I also want one more for my project but I still have to ask him. He will also be making wooden stands to put them on with a weatherproof roof and sides. And, this week he's making me wooden nest boxes. So I'm very happy.

Next, as you know I breed "Dwarf" rabbits. Yes, they are not Netherlands nor real proper Dwarfs. However, here in my area of South Africa, the breeds are very primitive, and the only registry is a 12 hour drive away and just started. They don't recognize rabbits down where I am. So, the Dwarf rabbits are rounder then the regular crossbreed, and smaller. The Dwarfs are under 2 kg(3-4 pounds) and the regulars are over 2 kg(over 4 pounds). Another thing, while there are many nice rabbit owners, a lot just stick the rabbits in outdoor pens or in the backyard and feed them veggies. The only "breeders" have a male and a female in a pen that constantly reproduce, let alone fight. So, I'm kind of trying to educate new owners and introduce a better way of breeding. I'm writing a book to sell with my rabbits that I hope will help.
My main purpose in breeding is to provide healthy, well bred, and tame pets. Rabbits that somebody can be confident in buying.

I am also starting a project with a new breed I found out about. It's called the Dwarf Angora. The Dwarf rabbits do sometimes have the recessive woolly gene, but the Dwarf Angora is different. It is always woolly, has Dwarf type, and is the larger size(2 kg and over). It is called the Dwarf Angora because it is smaller than the large sized Angora. I found out my sister's buck is one, so I bought a Siamese Sable doe to start breeding those.

And lastly, the broken project. I have searched everywhere for a broken Dwarf rabbit, as I love the color. However, upon months of searching and researching, I have discovered there are none. So, I want to introduce the broken gene into Dwarf rabbits. I have a Black Charlie(or maybe just a light broken) crossbreed doe that I bred to my Dwarf buck today. However, her temperament is terrible. My plan is either, A: Keep a broken doe of the best type, broken pattern, and temperament in the litter, and breed back to her dad(after selling the original). I'll do the same thing a few times, and in the end keep a nearly purebred buck(7/8 Dwarf or something like that.). The only thing is, the doe was so terrible to breed(very aggressive) that I don't know if she'll take. We'll have to see. Plan B: Sell/give away this doe if she doesn't take, or sell/give away her and the litter if she does(due to bad temperament). Then I'll buy a broken Chestnut or Chinchilla doe with better temperament(those colors aren't in Dwarfs yet either) and do the line breeding with her. We'll see. Whichever way that's going to be my project. It will just be fun to have a goal to strive for, I mean I always strive for health and temperament, but this will be like a real goal. So since I can't breed for show type, I'll breed for health, temperament, and color!

Anyways, that's what's going on in my rabbitry. What projects do you have planned for your rabbitry this year? <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 am __________ <br /><br /> .

Attachments

• edit.JPG
    edit.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • edit....JPG
    edit....JPG
    519.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • edit (2).JPG
    edit (2).JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • edit.JPG
    edit.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • edit.JPG
    edit.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • edit.JPG
    edit.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 1,021
we just got done rebuilding our rabbit shed last night, and making new cage racks with poop collectors. that was our "big project" until we move. then moving will be the big project :p

other than that my only project really is to produce some pretty magpie harlequins, and i'm already on the road for that. i'd also like to get me some american whites when i have more space and see how that goes.

i really just have a goal of going to a show and actually y'know, showing, instead of hanging out and drooling over everyone else's rabbits, haha. there's not many shows within a decent driving distance from me, and the two that are i haven't had any rabbits ready, so i just haven't been able to show so far, boo. and being able to get my tanning business going! i've already sold every single growout i have right now and cull is coming up very soon, so i'm excited.

It sounds like you're having a blast with your rabbit habit, LittleFluffyBunnies! :D

I am really excited about my rabbit projects this year, because I'm actually making some progress. :lol: I have a Mini Lop doe due any minute now, actually, and another doe due Saturday. I have eradicated the omnipresent early rise bunny faults... and replaced them with narrow shoulders. :roll: But I found an outstanding little buck, great orange color, pedigreed, proven, with one leg. So I'm really excited about him!
I've always wanted to get an orange bun.
As for my Jersey Wooly project, I FINALLY found a Wooly doe, and she's ready to breed whenever! Beautiful doe, nearly impeccable body type, just overweight by a few ounces. Disqualified, but she'll make a great brood doe.
I'm getting more active in the show ring as well, and I'm just elated to find what these upcoming litters bring.

As for everyone else, :good-luck:
:pancake:

Sounds like everyone has some exciting plans!
SarnaTricia, new cages are always good. :lol: It means we can satisfy our rabbitosis with more rabbits :mrgreen:

shazza, sounds like you're doing well with your plans. Good luck for the shows!

The_Dutchess, that's great that you could get nice new bunnies! And babies on the way is always exciting.

I've recently tripled my rabbit population haha. Bought a new shed, also a new bank of 6 holes, with plans for at least another set of four that will be inside/outside on one side of this shed for the boys. I've also just placed an order for my automatic watering system... things are looking up! Now hopefully the rabbits keep cooperating.. I went from 5 adults to 16 keeper adults in a matter of 3 months... my boyfriend is starting to get cranky.. he's out on the new shed's roof as I type shingling it so we can get everything moved in there and functional.. heheheh

Sounds like ya'll have spring fever too!!
Other than my usual show bunnies, my new project is Harlequin and Magpie Lionheads.
I know some will :groooan: :explode: :shock: because they are not recognized colors... but maybe someday ... ??

Attachments

• Harlequin Blue Doe 4 months.jpg
    Harlequin Blue Doe 4 months.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 948
  • Harlequin Buck 8 wks.jpg
    Harlequin Buck 8 wks.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 948
  • harli.jpg
    harli.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 948
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg