Captain - death

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catherine99

Reaction score
We found our Captian dead this afternoon. No signs of illness or injury.

Young rabbit, English Angora born late August. :(

When something like this happens for no apparent reason, it's rather hard to take. I figure it usually means that there was something serious wrong with the rabbit (such as a defective heart, for example) that did not show up until the point of death. It's sad, but these types of losses tend to be rare and just "one of those things."

alforddm":3gieogg9 said:
The vaccine looks to me to be pretty pricey. https://www.petceutics.com.au/cylap-rcd ... -dose.html

A 10 dose vial is $157.20

and the vaccination schedule for

Kittens: 4, 8, 12 weeks of age, then 6 monthly for life.
Adults: 2 vaccinations 1 month apart, then 6 monthly for life.

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/rhdv-k5-wha ... et-rabbit/

To have the vaccine given by a vet is somewhere between $50-$100 per dose. They not sure the vaccine will work for new release of the virus. This is off label use. It does not works for K2

They are recommending breeders to keep rabbits indoors, fly proof enclosures. The virus lives in the environment for at least 4 months.

Thanks catherine99, I already knew about the new virus being released just wasn't sure when it was being released but I have just signed the petition though. After losing 14 rabbits (most were due to kindle in a day or two) & just over 60 growers the other Sunday from the heat wave (got to around 43 degrees I think) I have just under 83 breeding rabbits, some are Rare breeds, even though all my rabbits are vaccinated the Government doesn't consider the implications this new virus will have on Pet rabbits, show rabbits, rare breeds and commercial rabbits.
I also heard there was another unknown virus down in Sydney or Adelaide somewhere that kills rabbits under 12 weeks of age even newborns.

I also get my Calici Vaccine for just under $72 for 10ml vial.

Back