Who's sterile? young buck or old does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
Buck is 11 months, very healthy and happy, it's been winter so I know it's not heat sterility. The 2 does I'm not sure of their ages, but I suspect their getting old. 1 doe has been bred 3 times to the buck to no avail, the other doe had a successful litter (8 kits) from him once, but her second breeding to him didn't take. I've watched all the breedings, he falls off at least 3 times per session, he's not "missing" and I make sure they don't piss it out. So my question is who's the one who's a dud?

I only have rabbits for 5 years now, my first 2 does are fully active and doing great, so I can't tell much about old age, but the guy down the road told me that his does get concieving problems around 8-10 years.
The talk wasn't about productivy, but about how attached one gets to such long time breeders.

Since it's 2 vs. 1 against the buck I would try another asap.
Wouldn't be picky about that, even a dwarf lop lionhead would produce some meat, if that is your goal.

I have a fresh doe I'll put him to. At first I thought it must be the does after the first failed attempts but at this point I'm worried it might be the buck.

Have the does had a long break? With age and especially a break between litters rabbits have a tendency to pack the fat they gain around their reproductive organs so it's not noticeable but the does don't conceive well. It can be hard to tell. Steady production seems to reduce that problem and help keep does in the mood for breeding. Bringing does back after a break is often a bit frustrating and may be worse the older they get.

No they havent,I rebred them when their previous litters were weaned at 6 weeks. I hadn't had them for long, the does I got back in September <br /><br /> -- Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:48 pm -- <br /><br /> I wonder if they've just gotten a bit over weight since I got them and that's what's causing it. Maybe I'll cut back on their feed and see if it helps

the lack of sunshine this winter has affected my does.....
I have a doe that is on her last chance, so I'm hoping for her sake she "takes"
Sometimes, they don't want to breed when placed with a buck... then the next time.... loving the buck... tail in the air and lets do this....
To me, I just keep tossing them in every couple of days till they are in the mood....

(Mind you I got a surprise litter from a doe that didn't have a fall off that I saw.... good thing she looked fat when I was handing out nest boxes)

Latest posts

Back