Register

Grooming socialization

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 295.00

Grooming socialization

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Harelady » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:16 pm

So I picked up a Lilac French Angora junior buck this weekend. He is only 13 weeks old and his coat is very cotton like. I decided to start grooming him twice a week because of his baby coat. My Senior doe only needs to be grooming once a week. Anyways I went to groom him and I really stressed him out. He had some mats underneath that I needed to get out and he got super stressed about it. I don't want him to be so stressed about grooming since its going to be done a lot in his life. I a bit taken back by his response to being groomed but I socialize by baby Belgians more than most breeders. Any tips on getting him use to grooming?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,800.00

Re: Grooming socialization

Post Number:#2  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm

I always gently cut out the mats, and regularly brush those areas as the hair grows back in hopes they dont return. I believe if you continue to groom, and offer an occaional treat after, that he will learn to like it. Hes probably just scared since hes never done it before, but see what works and after a few weeks let us know!

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,090.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm just very calm and patient with the newbies.

I had three of my little fuzz balls that are used to the slicker, but are just hitting their first molt and are scared to death by the undercoat rake since it pulls a bunnies than the slicker. I just take the extra time to be slow and gentle with them, and give breaks for love and pets. They get used to it after a few groomings, it just takes time and patience. One four month old doe I got had never been brushed and she tried to eat me when I groomed her, but after three months of being gentle she's fine with it now.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras and Satin Angoras*

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,381.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:31 am

Time and patience, and when you feel that they are getting too stressed, I just let them sit on the table with treats for a little bit, and then try a little more. And I remind myself that it does not all have to be groomed right now, we can work a little more tomorrow and the next day too.
~~Six Gun French Angoras~~

http://www.instagram.com/sixgunangoras