Had to put down old Fred yesterday

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Fred has been with me for 8 1/2 years. He was from my very first litter from Fred and Scarlett who were my first rabbits. He was a calm, gentle rabbit with beautiful thick Steele fur and stocky with a strong head and shoulders. He fathered upwards of about 150 kits over the years. He was a bit elderly and was getting around slower but happy and healthy. Lately I noticed he was sitting a bit different and then in the last few days he started dragging one rear leg around. I checked it out and it didn't seem broken, more likely he was just going lame. It was affecting the way he sat to poop and was getting a bit dirty. He was still eating and drinking well and seemed in good spirits but I made the decision to put him down. I brought him out of the colony and let him play in the snow for a bit before I sent him back to Mother Nature with thanks for the good years he spent here with me. He is currently buried in the compost pile where he will contribute to new life here on the homestead. He is survived by one of his sons, an as yet unnamed brown buck who has fathered a few litters already himself.

Gonna miss ya, buddy!

Back