Need Medical Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBC

Reaction score
My 9 week old rabbit just got her foot caught in her cage...actually it was more her hock. She tore the skin pretty badly and now her bone and Achilles tendon are exposed. Any ideas on what to do would be helpful! I have comfrey salve so could put that on with maybe some vet wrap? Would I need to clean it first with peroxide or something? Also, is there something I should give her for pain or just make sure to keep it clean until it heals?

If you want to save her I would take her to a vet in this case, unless someone with more experience comes on and offers good advice. You can use peroxide for a couple of days, beyond that I believe it can hinder the healing process.

Don't clean it with peroxide

Personally I would humanely euthanize the kit

But if you want the try and heal him I would clean with a dilute salt water solution, you should barely taste the salt in it

You want to prevent it drying out as that is more likely to cause mobility issues. I recommend polysporin salve, without lidocane/pain killer in it, and a loose bandage so he won't lick the wound

Yeah, I thought about euthanizing her but the tendon appears to be fine so it's just a flesh wound. Seems like something that should heal up fine if given the right care. <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm -- <br /><br /> Okay, nevermind. There's more damage than I had originally thought. I think euthanizing her may be the best option after all, unless someone has a better idea. :(

0213171220_zpsmfdzhpfm.jpg

Poor thing, sorry this hapenend to both of you. I agree after seeing the picture, that there are probably no good treatment options:(

That does look pretty bad--euthanizing the kit is likely the kindest thing to do.

In situations where a rabbit is in pain, giving it twigs or branches from a willow tree (any Salix species) allows the rabbit to self-medicate for pain. The inner bark contains a substance similar to aspirin. Since willow is also a very safe and nutritious rabbit food, it's a good thing to know.

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all! I had decided to euthanize her, but ran out of daylight so opted for some lavender oil, comfrey salve, gauze and vet wrap. I've been changing the bandage a couple times a day and have her in the house so I can keep an eye on her. I've also been allowing her to eat some dried lavender, comfrey, echinacea and white willow bark. The wound is now a normal skin color and except for a tiny bit of swelling in that foot she's doing great...walks on it normally and everything. I think it's going to heal up just fine after all. She's also really enjoying being the center of attention and getting lots of yummy treats!

0214171159a_zpsj5kdbdtm.jpg

Back